Author Topic: War service administration  (Read 744 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
War service administration
« on: Wednesday 27 January 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

After many years of researching I have come across something I have not seen before.  Can anyone explain what the title means when found on a death of a retired soldier.  To explain a little.  I have found a carear soldier in WWI who by the time of WWII would have been too old to survive yet in his will which was granted it says he died on "War service Administration" 

Having looked for this phrase I find them all attached to retired carear soldiers (might just be luck that I have only found these) 

Its not changing anything in my research but more from a personal education

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: War service administration
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 January 21 10:38 GMT (UK) »
With that capital A in Administration, it looks like there may be a full stop missing after "war service".

Like this one: (no will, Letters of Administration granted to the widow)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 January 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
A first thought is that this refers to the administration of a soldier's war time will but I think we need a bit more context.

Does the phrase "died on War service Administration" actually appear exactly like that and where does if appear?

Presumably you meant "too old to serve"?  What is your definition of a "retired career soldier" and are you saying you have found many more examples?  I may simply be missing something obvious which the context (examples perhaps) would clarify.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 January 21 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Carear soldier as im someone who signed up in 1904 did 4 years and then re-signed for another 4 years then resigned to the BEF and finally retired in 1920.  2 years on the reserve list after.  If you can search the UK gov probate site for Styring 1945 first name harvey you will see it there.  THat is one of them there are many others that can be sourced as well
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a full stop missing. It means he died on war service (not necessarily as a result of war service), and Administration of his estate was granted to his widow.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/32858_625537_2401-00278

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is a full stop missing. It means he died on war service (not necessarily as a result of war service), and Administration of his estate was granted to his widow.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/32858_625537_2401-00278

Thanks and why didnt I actually think of that one. 

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
The Harvey Styring who died on 9 October 1944 was a young soldier serving with the RASC in Italy.

Probably there is a mistake in the Probate record, and his mother Martha was incorrectly recorded as his widow. I've seen that happen before.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 January 21 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes the error of the harveys was mine.   I have just figured that one out.  His mother is indeed Martha.   That makes more sense of the situation to me and the CWGC image identifies him clearer.

All day researching my mind had gone to mush by the time id posted that

rob