Author Topic: Lawrence Southwich  (Read 447 times)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawrence Southwich
« on: Saturday 30 January 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a Lawrence Southwich born 1596 Tettenhall, Staffordshire he marries a Cassandra Burnell on the 25/01/1623 in Kingswinford she was born 1598 in Worcestershire so far so good, trying to find where they went and keep coming back to a Lawrence and Cassandra who arrive in Salem New England, it is suggested that they come from Lancashire and set up a Pottery and Glassware factory before falling foul of the local authorities, they are arrested as Quakers, whipped sold as slaves etc-- and end up on Shelter Island New York where they both die from exposure... not convinced these are the people I am looking for, any thoughts out there ??     

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Southwich
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 January 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage is on FreeREG and bapts of children are there also;
6 Mar 1624/5 JOHN Southwick
1 Sep 1627 ANANIAS Southwicke buried 17 Sep 1627
20 Mar 1628/9 JOSIAS Southicke
13 May 1632 MARY Southwicke
4 Jan 1634/5 DEBORAH Southicke
14 May 1637 DANIELL Southwicke

Cant see anything for them after that in Staffs.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jibhauler14

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 January 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
The plot thickens, a Lawrence Southwich and his wife moved to Salem in New England in 1625 then back to England and then back out again in 1630, they and 2 children Mary and Josias were flogged and banished for being Quakers the 2 children were supposedly sold into slavery as ordered by the Religious people in charge in Salem, Josias left Salem and settled in Rhode Island.. still not sure if they are the same family, although the records in Salem show the family names as being similar but different birth dates:
John born 1620 not 1624
Ananias born and died 1627 the same.
Mary born 1630 not 1632
No mention of Deborah
Daniel born 1637 the same
And a new daughter Providence born 1641
I will have to try and find evidence of the parents from Tettenhall and Kingswinford going to New England, any thoughts Trish1120

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 February 21 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for some reason I didnt see your reply so am late in answering.

From Wiki;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_and_Cassandra_Southwick

Other than finding that I have no expertise in US or Quaker research, sorry

Going back to FreeREG;
Ananias was buried 17 Sep 1627

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)