Author Topic: Barbara Lennie Stronsay  (Read 1097 times)

Offline tryggo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barbara Lennie Stronsay
« on: Friday 05 February 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I wonder if any one can help
One my gt gt grandmothers Elizabeth Anderson (nee Lennie)'s death certificate it describes her parents as John Lennie (farmer deceased) and Barbara Lennie  (nee Croy deceased). Elizabeth died in Wick July 24th 1886 aged 69
She was born on Stronsay and married Alexander Anderson on the island in 1843 
My gt gt gt grandmother Barbara Croy died 24th October 1860 at Whitehall Stronsay aged 88 years. On her death certificate  she is described as the daughter of  Robert Croy (agricultural labourer deceased) and Margaret Croy nee Peace (deceased)
Does anyone know of any further information about Robert and Margaret ??
I cant seem to find anything more..

Many thanks and best wishes from Sweden
DM

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Lennie Stronsay
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The marriage as it appears on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

ALEXANDER ANDERSON married BETSY LINAY
05/10/1843 Stronsay

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 21 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I guess the death you refer to?

CROY   BARBARA   88   Mother PEACE   1860   Stronsay
LENNIE   BARBARA   88   Mother PEACE   1860   Stronsay

1841 Village Of Whitehall
CROY   Barbara      60   Spinner   OKI   
LINAY   Betsy      25   Dress Maker   OKI   
ANDERSON   Alexr   M   25   Cooper   OUC   

1851 census - Village Of Whitehall
CROY   Barbara   Head   W   76   Pauper (Farmer's Widow)   OKI   Stronsay

The only marriage I can find on SP, also same on freereg.

Robert CROY   No Brides Name?   Marriage 25 Dec 1760 Orkney   Kirkwall Parish Register

However no birth for Barbara but a ROBERT CROY/MARGARET CHALMERS had children in Stronsay 1759-1770?

Deaths at Stronsay are on SP 1801 – 1854, there is a possible death for Robert but maybe he an Margaret died earlier?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline tryggo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help with this one.
I really appreciate your efforts
DM

Offline RichGun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 March 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi DM,
I am also related to your Gt Gt Grandmother Elizabeth Anderson (nee Lennie). Her daughter Elizabeth Mckay (nee Anderson) born in Wick in 1855, was my Gt Grandmother.

I am stuck at the same wall that  you have reached so I can't answer your question but would be interested in the answer.

I have been trying to determine the relationship between John Linay and Barbera Croy. The 1841 Census  is particularly interesting as it shows Barbera Croy living with  both Betsy (Elizabeth) Linay and Alex Anderson, two houses away from a John Linay and his family in Whitehall Village
Another thing I noticed was that two of the witnesses to the marriage of Betsy Linay and Alex Anderson in 1843 are a William and Charles Linay who appear on the same 1841 Census in Whirtehall as sons of John Linay.

I know that this doesn't answer the question you posted and you may have this information already but I am hoping that there is something there that might help.

Regards,
Richard.

Offline RichGun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I have uploaded a photo of the grave of Thomas Anderson on Burray, Orkney which I received from Orkney FHS.

I have pasted the text of the associated message below. Which I found to be very helpful.

Thomas Anderson married Elspet Peter in Cromarty 28th May 1814 and they had moved to Burray, Orkney by 1822. I think they lived all their lives at Hillhouse in Burray. Hillhouse is one of the houses along the shore from Echna Loch to the left when you are looking out to sea. Elspet Peter was a daughter of Alexander Peter and Christina Stout

Betsy Linay born 1819 was a daughter of John Lennie and Barbara Croy and I was wondering if  they were married as there is no record of marriage for them. I am not sure if I have got this all right but when John Linay died on 9th February 1858 it shows that his death was registered by Charles Linay his son. It also shows that he is a widower  so his wife must have died before 1858.

I then found a death certificate for a Barbara Linay who died on 24th October 1860. I thought that this Barbara Linay was John Linay’s wife but can’t be as his wife had died before 1858. However it says that she is a daughter of Robert Croy and Margaret Peace. It says that she is a widow but no husband given. It shows that the person who registered her death to be Charles Lennie, her nephew.  Therefore it would seem that Barbara Croy must have been s sister of Janet Croy.

Is it possible that John Linay was married to Barbara Croy and she died and he then married her sister Janet Croy ? If that was the case then the Barbara Croy who died in 1860 can't be Betsy Linay’s mother.

I hope this helps.

Richard.