Author Topic: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family  (Read 1171 times)

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 February 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Just seen through a FindMyPast search that there's a 1778 marriage entry for Samuel Blogge and Mary Grimsby in Laxfield in the Suffolk Marriage Index.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 February 21 00:39 GMT (UK) »
And this is probably William's mother d. 1834. She mentions William and lots of family details.

NCC will register Harrowing 419
Blogg, Mary, widow, of Creeting St Olives, Suffolk

Still doesn't explain the Reynolds though ...

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 February 21 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you for all this information. Lots for me to look into.

Where you have left the Will references, how do I use these to access the wills?
Are they available on FindMyPast or FamilySearch?

I wonder if the Reynolds name could be from a grandmother? I have seen that before. Other times, I've found families that are definitely correct, but there seems no explanation for the unusual middle name. My 3x great grandmother was called Sevilla, and no one in the family ever had that name. It's still the only instance that I've seen the name.
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 February 21 01:34 GMT (UK) »
It's a good thing you asked because I've just realised I missed the date off Mary's will - it's actually in the 1835 volume.

You can access all the wills on FamilySearch. This may not be the most efficient way, but I go Search>Catalogue>[keyword: Norfolk]>Probate records>Norwich Consistory wills (quite a way down the catalogue list)>[select the year, so 1834-35 for Mary].

Once you open the file, you're looking for the folio number at the end of the reference, so in this case 419. Normally you could just enter this number in the image search but you may need to do some calculations depending how many volumes are in the file (the names in these references indicate the first will in the volume). In this file there's more than one volume (an 1834 and an 1835 one), so I just calculated where I thought the 1835 one would start and added 419 to it. The folio numbers are in the top right-hand corner of the manuscript so it's easy to check where you are if you toggle the images using the tools on the right.

You're right it could be from a grandmother - though it's strange none of the other family members seem to have it. I've just had a look on FindMyPast and there's a 1733 marriage between a John Reynolds and Sarah Grimsby in Ubbeston, which is the next village to Laxfield - worth a look!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 February 21 03:25 GMT (UK) »
The location might be....Creeling St Olaves......increases the options for newspaper archive searches.

Norfolk Chronicle Saturday 13 Feb 1831
......Tuesday last, at Greeting, near Needham Market, Suffolk, Mr. Samuel Blogg, aged 84. His memory will long be revered, and by an extensive circle of family connexions and his loss sincerely lamented ...

Death would be Tuesday 8 Feb 1831.      There might be a Will for Samuel BLOGG.

Norfolk Chronicle 23 Oct 1852
Wm. Blogg, of St. Giles hill, formerly of London-street. Same day, very suddenly, in his office at the Norfolk Hotel, Mr. Wm. Sworde.  Mr. Wm. Sworde. The deceased was in the act of booking a job, in the office, when his bead reclined on the desk, and he instantly expired. had been book keeper at the above Hotel tor twenty five years, and was much respected. 

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 February 21 11:40 GMT (UK) »
Here's the missing piece in the original jigsaw:

Reynolds, John, gentleman, of Laxfield, Suffolk
NCC will register Whitesides 439

- lots to process!

By the way, the will references are all from the NRO catalogue
http://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk

There are plenty of Grimsby wills in there too.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 February 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this, and the explanation of how to find the wills! I have found and saved the wills of Mary Blogg, and Samuel Blogg (elder and younger).

Could I just ask, what is the year of the Will for John Reynolds, gentleman of Laxfield, Sussex?  And is this the same John Reynolds as the one in the marriage to Sarah Grimsby in Ubbeston in 1733?

(NCC will register
Here's the missing piece in the original jigsaw:

Reynolds, John, gentleman, of Laxfield, Suffolk
NCC will register Whitesides 439

- lots to process!

By the way, the will references are all from the NRO catalogue
http://nrocatalogue.norfolk.gov.uk

There are plenty of Grimsby wills in there too.

Whitesides 439).
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Oops, sorry! 1784.

Online Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 February 21 20:48 GMT (UK) »
It's either the same John Reynolds or his son. Whichever way, he's definitely related to Mary.