Author Topic: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family  (Read 1172 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family
« on: Saturday 06 February 21 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate help with finding the parents of William Reynolds Blogg, who may be from Suffolk.
Here's the information that I have for him already.

According to the 1841 census, William (written as W.R.Blogg, transcribed as U.R.Blogg) was not born in the county of Norfolk (Heigham). According to the 1851 census, he was born in Laxfield in Suffolk. Either way, he was born about 1788, but I can't seem to find a baptism record for him around this time in Suffolk.

On 5th October 1809 at St Andrew, Norwich, Norfolk, William (said to be a bachelor of the parish) married Hannah Maria Martin (spinster of the parish) by License. It was witnessed by a possible relation of William Reynolds Blogg - Sarah Blogg.

William seems to have been a haberdasher, and was living in Heigham in Norfolk in 1841 and 1851. In 1851, William's occupation is 'servant register office'. I have not found his death record yet, or censuses after 1851.

William Reynolds Blogg and Hannah Maria Martin had several children in Norfolk; these are the ones I have found so far -
- William Blogg (b.1810)
- Emma Blogg (b.1812)
- Edwin Martin Blogg (b.1814)
- Frederick Samuel Blogg (1817-1868)
- Ellen Sarah Blogg (b.1824)

Many thanks for any help,
Holly

A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Reynolds Blogg, born in Suffolk - help finding his family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for William in Dec 1852 Norwich age 65.  That would fit with 63 in 1851. 

As for his parents have you looked for a Blogg/Reynolds marriage in case that was his mothers name?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I did wonder if Reynolds was his mother's name, although I have been unable to find a Blogg-Reynolds marriage for the 20 years before his birth (until 1788) in Suffolk.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
That death is right... Findmypast newspapers have a snippet that says ...

On Wednesday last aged 65 Mr William Blogg  of St Giles Hill formally of London Street. He's at St Giles Hill in 1851.

Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
About 11 miles away at Brandeston is

Wm  Blogg son of Thos Blogg and his wife Mary late Weston.
 8 th March 1785.

On Ancestry it is listed as Norfolk baptisms but Brandeston is Suffolk Brandiston is Norfolk.
 Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for William in Dec 1852 Norwich age 65.  That would fit with 63 in 1851. 

Thank you for this, I can view the basic transcript on Ancestry but it doesn't say his age, just 'William Blogg, Oct-Nov-Dec 1852', therefore it was difficult to be sure it was the right man.

That death is right... Findmypast newspapers have a snippet that says ...

On Wednesday last aged 65 Mr William Blogg  of St Giles Hill formally of London Street. He's at St Giles Hill in 1851.

Tazzie

And thank you for this detail, I had a FindmyPast subscription probably over a year ago but I never knew there were newspapers on there.

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 February 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
About 11 miles away at Brandeston is

Wm  Blogg son of Thos Blogg and his wife Mary late Weston.
 8 th March 1785.

On Ancestry it is listed as Norfolk baptisms but Brandeston is Suffolk Brandiston is Norfolk.
 Tazzie

I've just looked on Google maps as I don't know the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk at all, and I can see how the names could be confused. I'll definitely have a look down this route now, thank you very much :)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 February 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
When you look for deaths on the GRO index ages are given for all which is a great help. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 February 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »
There was a Samuel Blogg farming in Laxfield around the time of William's birth. Samuel's lease on arable and pasture land was due to expire at Old Michaelmas 1788 (Ipswich Journal, 13 August 1785).

There was a Samuel Blogg b. 1786 in Laxfield and farming in Creeting St Olave, Suffolk at the time of the 1851 census. His 1852 will is available in Norfolk Record Office - as is that of Blogg, Samuel, the elder, farmer, of Creeting St Olives, Suffolk, drawn up in 1831. Could he be William's father? Both wills should be accessible through FamilySearch.

The elder: 1831; NCC will register Hart 323
The 'younger': 1852; NCC will register Latten 817

Hope this helps.