Author Topic: No Death certificate of Hannah Fitzgerald O'Connor Olean NY  (Read 1233 times)

Offline hockeymom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No Death certificate of Hannah Fitzgerald O'Connor Olean NY
« on: Saturday 06 February 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
My 3rd Great grandmother Hannah O'Connor,born Fitzgerald is listed as being interned at St. Marys of the Angels Church in Olean NY on January 1,1892.(listed in church record as Ann).Record says she died in Alleghany, NY. She is buried at St. Bonaventure Cemetary in Alleghany. Headstone reads Hannah O'Connor born 1807, died 1892. From County Clare. She is not listed in the NYS death index,nor can I find a record or her death in all the surrounding towns. I've called the church ,and cemetary. Is it possible someone could die in NYS in 1892 have a service and be buried without a death certificate being issued?
I'm trying to find out her husbands first name and her parents and was hoping to find it on death certificate.
Thank you.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: No Death certificate of Hannah Fitzgerald O'Connor Olean NY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 21 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I didn't find it either, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Hannah is with her daughter Ann Carrigg in Portville, Cattaraugus, New York, in 1880.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZZQ-DFM

What can you find for Michael and Ann (O"Connor) Carrigg? The 1880 census said the children were born in Massachusetts. A tree at ancestry says the first 2 were born in Co. Clare.
Where were Michael and Ann married? Both MA and Irish records for c 1870 would have the fathers' names on the

In 1900 Michael and Ann say they arrived in 1871. If so, then the first children were born in Ireland. What do the kids' later records say?
If they arrived in 1871, did Hannah (Fitzgerald) O. come with them? Probably. A husband, wife, 2 kids, and a mother in law should be easy to spot on a passenger manifest, if they travelled together.

Ann (O'Connor) Carrigg died 1912
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/169675408/anne-carrig
what does her death record say? It should have her father' name on it.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 21 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Margaret and Susan's later records say they were born in Ireland. So the parents married in Ireland.

This might be Susan, but you need to find more records that match the family to be sure.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03342/2225292.pdf

A tree says Michael Carrig and Anna O'C married in Lisdoonvarna, Co Clare, in 1868, but I didn't find a marriage record to match at that .ie site for the civil records. Maybe you will, with more time to look.

Offline hockeymom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for answering me. You are probably looking at my tree on Ancestry and all that I know is on there. On Hannah's daughter's death certificate(Ann Carrigg) it lists her father as Isaac O'Connor,but after consultation with members of Clare Library forum, there is a question as to if that is correct. Isaac is not a common name at all for Ireland. There is one Isaac O'Connor that fits the age,but he is from the north. We wonder if it was transcribed wrong? On Michael and Ann's marriage,they are on the church record but no civil record was filed where we might see parents name.
I have found Ann and Michael Carrigg in Woburn Massachusetts,before they moved to New York but it is in between census so no record of Hannah.
Definitley a brick wall!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:15 GMT (UK) »
1. I hate it when they get the father's name wrong on the death record. :)
2. I thought the marriage might be a church record, but I hadn't looked for it yet.
3. I don't think you'll find a death certif for Hannah (Fitzgerald) O'Connor. Others here might know the likelihood of an 1892 death record for New York State, but I think the chances are slim.

Are there burial records for men named O'Connor dying in that area of Co Clare? and the civil recs - except those images aren't yet on line, I don't think. Something tells me Hannah's husband died not long before they all left Ireland.
Did Hannah and Mr O'Connor have other children? Is Ann's baptism in the record? - do they have the registers that far back?
Another problem is that Hannah and Mr O'Connor were probably married in her church, not his, then settled where he was from. Her parish shouldn't be too far away, though.

"They say" that rootsireland.ie has the best index for the Catholic registers. You could try a 1 month sub and see what you find. Or try ancestry's and findmypast.ie  indexes and see if Hannah & Mr O's marriage shows up, or any of the children's baptism.

also try the Co Clare forum on facebook.com. I asked them a question once about a man who died in Montana who had got a letter from Co. Clare. - That was all I knew. Within one afternoon they had his family, censuses, immigration to the US, naturalization, etc.

Oh, and have you found them all arriving? Did Hannah's husband maybe come with them? - long shot, I don't think so, but you haven't ruled it out. Any male O'Connor deaths in Woburn that would match?

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
New York started statewide vital registration circa 1881, so it had been going long enough that I would expect to find a death record from 1892.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if someone's name was bungled or the certificate was misfield/misplaced.  I didn't see any very likely candidates for your Hannah.

I don't know how likely it was that someone was actually buried in January 1892 in that area of New York.  The ground probably would have been too frozen for digging right away unless it was an unusually warm January.  I also find it unlikely that 1892 is the actual year of death if she was buried on 1 Jan. 1892 and died in another town.  Catholics don't typically get buried that quickly.  Seems more likely that 1/1/92 was a placeholder date for another date of death in 1892.  Maybe they took the date off her tombstone and added 1/1 since it only said 1892?

Considering that area of New York is very close to Pennsylvania, maybe she actually died in Pennsylvania?  There is a town in Pennsylvania not too far away named Port Allegany. Unfortunately, Pennsylvania didn't start statewide vital registration until 1906, so death records are spotty before then.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The 1892 census for Olean, Cattaraugus, NY has Michael & Ann Carrigg living there with children. Hannah O'Conner is not listed with them. The census was taken 16 Feb 1892.

1892 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ92-B8R

There is a fairly complete collection of the Olean Herald paper available online for the time period.

1891 editions: https://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn89077026/issues/1891/

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 21 17:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how likely it was that someone was actually buried in January 1892 in that area of New York.  The ground probably would have been too frozen for digging right away unless it was an unusually warm January.  I also find it unlikely that 1892 is the actual year of death if she was buried on 1 Jan. 1892 and died in another town.  Catholics don't typically get buried that quickly.  Seems more likely that 1/1/92 was a placeholder date for another date of death in 1892.  Maybe they took the date off her tombstone and added 1/1 since it only said 1892?
And come to think of it, Jan 1 is a holy day in the Catholic Church, and I don't think Catholics bury people on holy days, if I remember right.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Woburn City Directory
Michael Carrick, laborer, boards with Patrick Howley
Patrick Howley, laborer, home on Dublin
no Hannah O'Connor and no O'Connor boarding with Patrick Howley

no Michael Carrig/Carrick
not starting with "K" either
(Patrick Howley on same street)
no matching O'Connors

Michael Carigg, fireman, home on Cross
no matching O'Connors

-------------
another thought on looking for Hannah Fitzgerald's husband's first name: Their daughter Anna might have named a son after him. If the trees are right, they had sons John, Andrew, Michael, and William.