Author Topic: Craigs in North Northumberland / Durham  (Read 269 times)

Offline Kate_genedetective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Craigs in North Northumberland / Durham
« on: Sunday 07 February 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello!
I am researching the Craig family branch of our tree and I have got to Walter William Craig born 1830 in Horncliffe (then Durham, now Northumberland).
He moves south (for most of his life) but I am struggling to track down any of his family from the north...
I have found his baptism in 1830, Spittal - and this parents were named Walter and Elizabeth Craig  - but I can't find a marriage and I can't find any other children to this couple...

Does this ring a bell for anyone?
thanks for reading,
Kate

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Craigs in North Northumberland / Durham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 21 23:56 GMT (UK) »
There is an 1841 entry in Northumberland but parents are Walter & Isabella.  Aged 10 & shown as not b Northumberland

Have you seen that entry?

HO107 piece 845 book 6 folio 6  Page 4
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kate_genedetective

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Craigs in North Northumberland / Durham
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that tip CaroleW, I have had a look at this family before, a fair few people have got them on ancestry as Walter craig and Isabella Frizzel, but sort of ruled them out as Walter's mother is listed as Elizabeth.
Then I thought, what if walters mother elizabeth dies and his farther remarries a Isabella?
But Jane (listed on this census entry as 3 years older than walter) has parents listed on her baptism as Walter and Isobella...

However going back and having another look at the originals of this baptism  - she is also baptised at Spittal presbytarian Church and her paretns are also living in Horncliff so thats quite similar, unless there were 2 walter craigs with different wives having children in Horncliff...
I do understand that the names Isabella and elizabeth are linked so maybe she is the same person..