Author Topic: Am I on the right track here?  (Read 702 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Am I on the right track here?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 February 21 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried inputting the name 'Da Costa' in the 'Surname in matches' trees' search box on Ancestry?

You might want to try some variants as well (manually not by ticking the variants box). I have a match who has Da Costa ancestors and she variously spells it Da Costa (with space) Dacosta (no space) and Decosta.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Am I on the right track here?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 21 16:55 GMT (UK) »
The families I've found at the moment are all Da Costa.

I'm now researching another tree of someone with a DNA match on 23andme.  One of the names he has mentioned is Da Costa.  He gave his dob and both his parents and grandparents names so I've been finding his ancestors all afternoon.  Not found the Da Costa yet but got as far as some ancestors he has born in Austria, one born in Poland a Russian subject.  I think my connection must be his father's tree rather than his mothers and I've come to a halt with that, in that I can't find his paternal grandparents marriage.  I've got the maiden surname of his grandfather's mother.  If I can't get the info without buying his grandparents marriage cert, I'll contact the match.