Author Topic: South Lodge Kirknewton  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
South Lodge Kirknewton
« on: Wednesday 10 February 21 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find information about the parent/parents of my grandmother, Margaret Douglas Wick Anderson. Her birth certificate was registered in Edinburgh DOB 1 June 1929. According to her birth certificate mother was Agnes Anderson “daughter of oresman”. Domicile: South Lodge Kirknewton.
No father information.
My grandmother may have been an orphan, but how to find records, would her mother have been listed if she was an orphan immediately?
I would love any information on what is an oresman- a miner? I’ve been reading shale mining was common in Kirknewton in this time frame? Any information on South Lodge? Where to even begin finding orphan records for this time and region? Thanks in advance

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: South Lodge Kirknewton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clareuhi , welcome to RC  :)

Looking at the Valuation Rolls on Scotlandspeople there is a James Anderson at South Lodge Kirknewton Oakbank in 1930.
Agnes Anderson's father ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Did your grandmother keep the Anderson surname ?
Perhaps she was brought up within the family.
Looking at births , the 1929 birth may have been registered in Kirknewton as well.
You could check the birth to see if there is an RCE attached , might be difficult just now as it's less than 100 years ago ?
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/registering-illegitimate-births

ev

Added -
Is there any further information on you grandmother's marriage certificate(Paterson ?) ?
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clareuhi and a warm welcome to RC from me too.

There is an interesting site on Shale mining which might interest you. Just go to  http://www.scottishshale.co.uk/GazMines/AAMinesIntro.html scroll down the list on the left hand side to Oakbank No 1 & 2 Pits and there is a map of the area and also photos of the mine.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
As ev has posted there may be an RCE attached to your grandmother's birth certificate. This happens when a mother takes a father to the court in a paternity claim. Unfortunately as the birth was less than 100 years ago it will not be available online nor will it be included if you order a birth certificate. You can only see it if you go in person to a scotlandspeople Centre. I have one such birth in my family for 1934.

Can I ask a couple of questions here please - Who registered her birth and why do you think she was an orphan?

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:13 GMT (UK) »
How sure are you about 'oresman'? It's not in the online Oxford English Dictionary. Could it be 'orraman'? Can you post the extract so that we can see it?

In the 1930 VR James Anderson is described as 'inhabitant occupier' not 'tenant'. This suggests that he had the use of the house as part of his job. The proprietor was John Alan Maconochie Wellwood. So perhaps he was a worker on the estate of J A Maconochie Wellwood?

BTW What is now Kirknewton House was originally called Meadowbank House, and J A M W must be a descendant of Lord Meadowbank (1777-1861).

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a tree on Ancestry(yours ?) which might give you further information , I'm not a member so I can't see all the details  :-\
Looks like the Anderson surname was kept.

ev

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
See reply #5 by Forfarian.

It would seem that James Anderson had a position of responsibility in the Shale Mine. Could his occupation have been Oversman (bad handwriting on the birth certificate) which was a manager?

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Clareuhi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thank you all so much for the replies what an amazing resource. I requested pictures of the birth certificates from a relative, and to me it looks like “daughter of byreman” not oresman as they interpreted. Please see picture attached. So perhaps Agnes’s father was a farmer at South Lodge?
I actually have images of two birth certificates as it appears my grandmothers birth was registered in the District of George Square city of Edinburgh on June 25th (as she was born at the Royal Maternity hospital,Edinburgh) , and then registered again in the Parish of Kirknewton transcribed on June 28th. It appears the birth was registered by Agnes Anderson but no other information about her.
My grandmother did keep the name Anderson, and in the marriage certificate to my grandfather Albert Paterson in 1960 there is no other information about Agnes other than her name.
The family has always said she was an orphan and my father and his brothers were under this impression, although there is a possibility this is untrue...
I live in America now so I don’t have access to a Scotland’s people centre unfortunately.
Any further advice you can offer is much appreciated.