Author Topic: GAINES (GAIN) Family Maudemount, Kilpatrick, North Tipp. IRL  (Read 1206 times)

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy is packed with surprises and questions!
    • View Profile
GAINES (GAIN) Family Maudemount, Kilpatrick, North Tipp. IRL
« on: Wednesday 10 February 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Robert ACHESON (1789-1864) from Rehill, Shanrahan, South Tipp. married 1814 Sarah GAIN(es). Sarah GAINE (1796-1871) was originated from Maudemount, Kilpatrick, near Dundrum, Church Parish Ballintemple, Northern Tipperary, Ireland. Sarah GAINE is my ggggrandmother.

These ACHESON'S had a farming background and were working for landlords as landstewards or –agents. They were Church of Ireland members.

In the Ballintemple Church Registry for marriages, birth and burials are several GAINS having entries. It looks as if at least two GAINS families were living in this area.

In the census 1901 is only one person called Catherine GAINS, 80yrs from Kilshane, Kilfeakle, Tipperary.

In the TIPPERARY, Payments & Allowances to Away Going Tenants on Dundrum Estate 1822-1836 is an entry for J. GAINS from Maudemount who had 26 acres, paid £ 36 and emigrated 1 May 1823. By generation J. GAINS could have been the father or a brother of my ggggrandmother Sarah GAINES.

Questions:
-Are you related to the GAINE Family who owned a farm in Maudemount near Dundrum and sold it to a family called FRYDAY?

-Do you know somebody having the familyname GAIN, GAINS or GAINES who might originally come from the Dundrum area and is/was Church of Ireland member?

-Or do you know somebody, I could get more informations about the GAINES Family of the area Tipperary IRL?

Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GAINES (GAIN) Family Maudemount, Kilpatrick, South Tipp. IRL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 22 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Robert ACHESON (1789-1864) from Rehill, Shanrahan, South Tipp. married 1814 Sarah GAIN(es). Sarah GAINE (1796-1871) was originated from Maudemount, Kilpatrick, near Dundrum, Church Parish Ballintemple, Southern Tipperary, Ireland. Sarah GAINE is my ggggrandmother.

These ACHESON'S had a farming background and were working for landlords as landstewards or –agents. They were Church of Ireland members.

In the Ballintemple Church Registry for marriages, birth and burials are several GAINS having entries. It looks as if at least two GAINS families were living in this area.

In the census 1901 is only one person called Catherine GAINS, 80yrs from Kilshane, Kilfeakle, Tipperary.

In the TIPPERARY, Payments & Allowances to Away Going Tenants on Dundrum Estate 1822-1836 is an entry for J. GAINS from Maudemount who had 26 acres, paid £ 36 and emigrated 1 May 1823. By generation J. GAINS could have been the father or a brother of my ggggrandmother Sarah GAINES.

Questions:
-Are you related to the GAINE Family who owned a farm in Maudemount near Dundrum and sold it to a family called FRYDAY?

-Do you know somebody having the familyname GAIN, GAINS or GAINES who might originally come from the Dundrum area and is/was Church of Ireland member?

-Or do you know somebody, I could get more informations about the GAINES Family of the area Tipperary IRL?
Acheson, Coffey, Casey, Ahearn, Kennedy, Hughes, Hearn, Gamble, Norwood, Carroll, Gray, Powell, Power, Hennebry, Rainsberry, Lyndop, Lester, Caesar.
Wunderli, Wanner, Frei, Koneth, Mäder, Häuptli, Tobler, Pletscher, Stamm, Schiess, Signer, Meyer, Burkhard, Knupp, Stünzi, Usteri, Zeller, Heusi

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GAINES (GAIN) Family Maudemount, Kilpatrick, North Tipp. IRL
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, 
I am not related to any of the surnames you mention.
The Catherine Gains you mention in 1901.
This is her death in 1906
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05570/4564081.pdf
I was trying for find a male death to try and see who her husband was. sorry no results.

This.........

The only J Gain I could find was a marriage in 1818 a James Gain to a Grace Jones. Same page as the marriage of Sarah and Robert Acheson.

Maggsie

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 22 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggsie
Thank you! It is really difficult to bring the pieces together.
I visited all graveyards around Dundrum. I even did not find the graveyard where GAINES could be buried. I guess they had headstones....
Marlise

Offline merrick7

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 November 22 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Kilshane graveyard

Sacred
To the memory of William
Gaines who departed this
Life on 15th July 1860
Aged
54 years. He died trusting
In Jesus alone for salvation
This stone was erected
By Mr & Mrs Lowe
As a token of esteem for
His long
And faithful services
J Chidle Ballagh

William must have worked for the Lowe's of Kilshane

P.J.

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 November 22 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks a lot for that!
Another piece in the puzzle. I stayed more in the area Dundrum when I visited all graveyards around Maudemount!
There were Gaines outside Tipperary town. Catherine Gains lived in Kilfeakle, Kilshane due to the 1901 census.
Anyway very special when a landlord couple erected a tombstone!
Miracula

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 November 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »

There were Gaines outside Tipperary town. Catherine Gains lived in Kilfeakle, Kilshane due to the 1901 census.

Catherine Gains lived in Kilshane townland in Kilfeakle E.D. in the 1901 census.
House 25 in Kilshane (Kilfeakle, Tipperary).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tipperary/Kilfeakle/Kilshane/1718909/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001175177/

Kilshane townland in Kilshane civil parish.
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/clanwilliam/kilshane/kilfeakle/kilshane/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5624125#map=14/52.4658/-8.1349

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline miracula

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 22 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies!
I am not often getting them to my numerous posts on all the different genealogical websites and forums!