Author Topic: Durham local Registrar- do their certs have photocopies of original register?  (Read 731 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If anyone has a cert (I am particularly looking for a death cert) from the local Registrar in Durham, please could you tell me if they are handwritten/ typed to order or if they have the facility to copy the original register entry onto the official certificate form?
NB I am aware that some local registrars do this, but certainly not all.

Reason for asking (if anyone wants to know).
I have spent ages looking for the death reg for a Hannah HANDY, I have a transcript of a burial record for her in Belmont, Durham, buried 08 Jan 1862, aged 39.
Having failed miserably trying different spelling variations in both FreeReg and GRO. I eventually did just a first name search for Hannah, death registered Q1 1862, Easington District and scanned down the results looking for anything that was remotely 'possible'.

There is an entry for a  39 year old Hannah ANDY which looks quite likely.
Being of a nosey persuasion, IF the local cert will have the original register entry on it I will buy it from there (so I can judge if it was possibly misread when doing the copy register for the GRO).
If not, then I'll go for the cheaper pdf option from the GRO from their copy of the register. Hopefully the abode and informant will confirm it for me in either case.

Thanks

Boo

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham local Registrar- do their certs have photocopies of original register?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
IF the local cert will have the original register entry on it I will buy it from there (so I can judge if it was possibly misread when doing the copy register for the GRO).

If that's the right record, I would say it’s more likely to have been mispronounced on registration, rather than miscopied.

If you particularly want to go down the local route, it would probably be best to phone the register office and ask them, rather than rely on anyone here having received a repro certificate from that office in the past. The method of issuing certificates from local offices is often dependent on the condition of the register for that particular year, amongst other factors.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Durham local Registrar- do their certs have photocopies of original register?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bookbox, I did wonder if someone 'ad dropped an 'h'  but then thought she may 'ave ended up as  'Anna 'Andy :-)

I'll give it some thought, I may just settle for a pdf, though if ever we get back to anywhere near normal I may email and ask if they would check the original register for me  - or its going to bug me forevermore :-)

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:23 GMT (UK) »
I cant see it has been miss transcribed, more than likely miss heard on reporting of the death
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 21 12:41 GMT (UK) »
I cant see it has been miss transcribed, more than likely miss heard on reporting of the death

Thanks, but I didn't mean mistranscribed FROM the index into FreeBMD, I always check the image.
I meant either from the original register to the copy register (possible)

OR (maybe more likely) from the copy register TO the index.

e.g.  I am adding some postems to Free BMD atm (I have the image from the parish register).

I have just done one where the surname was LIDDELL, noticed that FreeBMD has this as both LIDDELL and SIDDELL - checked the image for both and yes, its in the index images twice, once as LIDDELL and once as SIDDELL so in that case the GRO indexer was unsure and seems to have hedged his bets.

I wonder if, in my "Handy Andy" case, the indexer may have misread the writing in the register and gone with his first thought.

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 February 21 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I like the misheard version.  You get that with Ellen and Helen also.  From my American ears I find a lot of words that I start with a vowel somehow there have an added "H" and words that start with an H seems to gloss over although sometimes there is a short gutteral before the word.  My cousin told me this was more noted around Sunderland but I don't know.  Folks tell me I speak funny where I live in Wisconsin but I don't sound so different if I go to Pittsburgh.

Victorian cursive capitals have a few I have seen miswritten  the Victorian W looks like todays H.  The capitial "S"looks like today's "L".  Many family members though therir head of household was a Lawyer and not the Sawyer they were. 

Janis

Best to look at the originals if you can.  I had one transcribed as Halker and them I asked to look again to see if it might be Walker.  It was.
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 February 21 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janis
Thanks
I have sent for the pdf copy. If that clearly says 'Andy' then I'll wait till life is less fraught and ask the local registrar if they will check the original register that they hold.

I am almost 100% sure its the right record, but as you say the original, especially when there is doubt is the best option. The original may also say Andy, but I do like to check things out as far as I can before coming to any conclusions. (nosey as ever!).

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Still may be is what was heard.  i have the name Fenwick in my family.  First started as a surname but later as a first or middle name.  Once they were in the USA it became Fennick cause that is how it was pronounced.

Sometimes it is with writing.  Those records that are held at the GRO are still copies of what is local.  So I got a marriage cert of my grgrgr grandfather with a more distinctive name Richard Watson Cole.  His third marriage.  We didn't know about this third marriage.  Just got it to check it out.  The record from the GRO had his and his father's occupation as "printer" and the signature was an "X".  Who would be a printer if they could not read and write?  I looked at the original record and his signature was signed and he was a Pitman.  This Covid has really made things hard.
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 February 21 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Boo i'm not sure if you've already had this answered but they only issue marriages as scanned copies, births and deaths are typed.

Cheers
Jay