Author Topic: Allens in Puckley  (Read 444 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Allens in Puckley
« on: Friday 12 February 21 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone here might be able to help me make some progress with my Allen ancestors in Pluckley.

My ancestor Farley Allen was christened in Pluckley on 6 December 1747 and was described as the "baseborn" daughter of Elizabeth Allen in the parish register.

The only other entry I can find for an Allen christening is for a William Allen son of Thomas and Elizabeth christened on 5 July 1742.

Could this Elizabeth and the Elizabeth who was the mother of Farley be the same person? There is a gap between William and Farley and I've often wondered if Thomas died and then Elizabeth ended  up having another child.

Alternatively could Elizabeth and Thomas have been siblings? I don't know if Elizabeth was an "Allen" by marriage or birth at the moment. So far I haven't found any other Allens in the area.

Can anyone offer any ideas or suggestions on this?

Many Thanks
Matt

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Farleys in Puckley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 February 21 19:35 GMT (UK) »
It's unusual for a baseborn child to have a different surname from the mother.  Have you seen a copy of the register or just a transcription?  The register might show more than was transcribed.
Mary

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Farleys in Puckley
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
It's unusual for a baseborn child to have a different surname from the mother.  Have you seen a copy of the register or just a transcription?  The register might show more than was transcribed.
Mary

Hi

First a small correction to my post. My ancestor's name was Farley Allen not Elizabeth Allen. Elizabeth Allen was her mother.

I have seen both a transcription and the original parish register [attached] which clearly describes Farley as "(a base born child)" .

So far I haven't been able to find anything on Elizabeth Allen at all, not even a christening. In fact that only Elizabeth Allen I have found is the Elizabeth who was married to Thomas Allen. I did wonder if perhaps he died and Elizabeth had Farley [by another man] after Thomas had died. That would mean "Allen" would be her widowed name.

If I could find a christening for Elizabeth Allen it might help, however so far I can only find christenings for Farley Allen bb daughter of Elizabeth, and William son of Thomas and Elizabeth lol!

Matt

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allens in Puckley
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for a burial record for Thomas between the births of William and Farley?  I would guess that the name Farley is a clue to who her father was.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Allens in Puckley
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for a burial record for Thomas between the births of William and Farley?  I would guess that the name Farley is a clue to who her father was.

Hiya

Yep done that but so far I haven't found anything yet.

Matt