Author Topic: Chevening Parish lookup - Boakes  (Read 626 times)

Offline bones58

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Garden of England
    • View Profile
Chevening Parish lookup - Boakes
« on: Sunday 14 February 21 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help with baptisms for any Boakes/Bokes baptised at Chevening between 1790-1800.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Bones
Coast-Kent, Head-Kent, Brigden-Kent,Cowan-Norfolk,Whiting-Norfolk, Nutt-Bucks, Stannett-Bucks, Trail-Fife, Galbally- London, Halloran-Bermondsey, Messenger-Bermondsey

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chevening Parish lookup - Boakes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 February 21 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Familysearch has this baptism at Chevening:

Thomas BOAKS son of Thomas & Susanna 12th February 1797
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 February 21 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Boaks  to   Susannah Acton
Married  06 Dec 1792
St Botolph,  Chevening Kent.

There is also Ann Baptised.24 Nov 1799 to Thomas and Susannah Chevening.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline bones58

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Garden of England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 February 21 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm trying to find the parents of Thomas Boakes who married Sarah Oliver 1814 in Tonbridge. In 1841 and 1851 Sarah is living with her son Thomas in Weald. Thomas snr is living with other children in Godden Green in 1841 and Sevenoaks in 1851. On the 1851 and 1861 Census it says that he was born in Chevening c.1796, but there is another Thomas Boakes living in Ash also born 1796 Chevening. In 1841 Thomas and Susannah are also living in Ash, and this has cast doubt on them being the right parents.

Bones
Coast-Kent, Head-Kent, Brigden-Kent,Cowan-Norfolk,Whiting-Norfolk, Nutt-Bucks, Stannett-Bucks, Trail-Fife, Galbally- London, Halloran-Bermondsey, Messenger-Bermondsey

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 22 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I am researching BOAKES and similar in Kent, as I have  the William BOAKES and Ann LEIGH as ancestors via Mary b 1780 in Chiddingstone. They are one my mother's side, and we have quite a few DNA ( Candidates) Via other BOAKES families in Kent/Surrey/Sussex also as a natch As a consequence of investigating these potential links I have many BOAKES families in an Ancestry research tree. I have this morning added your BOAKES/OLIVER family, and will check to see if  a Thomas fits in any of my loose ends as a potential match. Am I right in thinking that Sarah died in 1851,  I have no real necessity to obtain the certificate to see if there are any clues that  might prove it was Sarah OLIVER.
Do you or anyone researching BOAKES as an ancestor have  a DNA test result on line to consider as a match.
Something worth considering is there are 2 Thomas and Sarah couples in the 1810-1860 era in Sundridge/Sevenoaks.
One Thomas appears to be a wood dealer at some stage, the other an Ag labourer/farmer.

Offline bones58

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Garden of England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 22 11:29 GMT (UK) »
The Boakes are my wife's maternal line, her family came from Sevenoaks Weald. The two couples caused confusion to start with, but we think the wood dealer was Thomas b.1784 Chiddingstone who married Sarah Leigh and lived at Ide Hill.

Sarah Oliver died 1851 and was buried in Sevenoaks 27/4/1851.

In the census entries, Thomas is consistently shown as born c.1792 Chevening but we have been unable to verify this. He married Sarah Oliver in Tonbridge which has led my wife to believe that he may now be the son of John Boakes and Sarah Couchman b.1792 in Chiddingstone.
Unfortunately we don't have any DNA results.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 November 22 12:58 GMT (UK) »
The census entry of  30 Mar 1851 in Sevenoaks  with Sarah BOAKES ( nee OLIVER) declared age 58  as nurse  suggests Thomas  her son a sawyer, was the son of Thomas the Ag lab/ farmer rather than Thomas the Wood dealer. Thomas the wood dealer could well be his uncle of course.
Sarah BOAKES nee OLIVER buried April 1851 aged 59
Sarah BOAKES nee LEIGH likely died in 1846.Register Dec in Sevenoaks aged 53.
Neither death certificate viewed yet for further details.
I have corrected my trees.