Author Topic: Does anyone know anything about name changes in the 1800s?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • When nothing goes right, go left.
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know anything about name changes in the 1800s?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 12:54 GMT (UK) »

Hi,

Have you seen these?

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qbn/

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qbm/

There is no David mentioned there but William John seems be using his middle name to become John. Knowing the family moved to Bexhill might help find the children.

Where is David in 1871? Hannah is showing as a widow.

Regards,
Daisy

I don't know why Hannah is shown as a widow because David didn't die until 1886, he was in a workhouse and died there.
Technically Hannah was a widow as her previous husband William died before she married David.
Baldock, Barlow, Brattle, Bray, Cubitt, Cubitt- Keeler, Elphick, Emery, Haselgrove, Jupp, Keeler, Lock, Manser/Manser, Morse, Parsons, Rees, Sayers, Sebbage, Vigor, Wheeler.

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 13:00 GMT (UK) »
James Burt was born in Hooe, Sussex and is a widower. In 1841 there is an 11 year old George Burt in the household.
James Burt was baptised in Hooe on 11 Mar 1804 s/o James and Hannah. James Burt snr married Hannah Sarjent in Hooe on 7 May 1803. James Burt jnr married Elizabeth Lansdell on 05 Dec 1827

If the Bray family were removed to Bexhill, John Bray must have been from that area. There is a John Bray baptised in Hooe, nr Bexhill on 3 Jan 1779 s/o John and Lucy. John Bray married Lucy Glid on 04 Apr 1777 in Hooe. John and Margaret called their oldest daughter Lucy. 

Was hoping to find a connection between Burts and Brays and a David cropping up, but nothing so far

HAHA, I tried doing the same thing as you and make a connection, but nothing has come of it.

I am wondering, could David's parents be other people and the Bray's took him in for whatever reason and that is why David put John as his father on the marriage register.
A bit far fetched I know, but I have come across similar during my research with a different family.
Baldock, Barlow, Brattle, Bray, Cubitt, Cubitt- Keeler, Elphick, Emery, Haselgrove, Jupp, Keeler, Lock, Manser/Manser, Morse, Parsons, Rees, Sayers, Sebbage, Vigor, Wheeler.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 13:21 GMT (UK) »
David Bray - abt 1810 Ringmer, Sussex, England
Married: Hannah Parker (Waller) 24th December 1848, Portslade, Sussex

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DR53-V29?i=746

This states David’s father is John Bray.
The only John Bray I can find in the right area and time married a Margaret Evans

David appears on all censuses up to 1881

The marriage states John Bray - Labourer although it doesn't state he's deceased.

Have you found John & David in 1841 census whether together or apart?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline ReesyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 13:51 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]
The marriage states John Bray - Labourer although it doesn't state he's deceased.

Have you found John & David in 1841 census whether together or apart?

Annie
[/quote]

I have David on the 1841 Census, but not John because I'm not sure which John Bray his is.

Offline johnscottbiggs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 February 24 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is it possible someone could change their surname back in the 19th century due to having illegitimate children?

I've been doing some research on the family of the wife of a 1st cousin 2x removed. I can't find a marriage for her parents but when looking for what appears to be siblings these appear as illegitimate and a marriage for her father and the original surname does produce a marriage

Any thoughts?