Author Topic: Belfast City Cemetery plot purchases  (Read 758 times)

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast City Cemetery plot purchases
« on: Tuesday 16 February 21 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there are records for plot purchases at Belfast City Cemetery for 1800’s?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast City Cemetery plot purchases
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if there are records for plot purchases at Belfast City Cemetery for 1800’s?

Have you contacted Belfast City Council - Bereavement Services to ask them? Someone there may know the answer.

https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/bereavementservices#334-0
https://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/contact

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I contacted Belfast city cemetery twice and they haven’t replied. PRONI said they don’t hold records so I’m stumped. A man I am looking for was a grave owner and a relative of mine was buried there but not the plot owner so I thought there might be a record with an address when the plot was bought. I will try the bereaved dept and see if I get any luck there.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I few years ago I was shown one of the grave record books which had the following columns:

-   Grave number
-   Name of owner
-   Description
-   Number in order book

The description column is filled with addresses, presumably of the grave owner.  In the case of my ancestor’s grave the record was as follows:

107 – S. B. Stevenson – 7 Mount Pleasant – 16767 / 31472 / 44809 / 77029 …. Full 28/2/38

The 107 corresponds to the grave number on a map they have.  The series of numbers (16767 etc) refer to individual burials, and presumably those are listed in the “order book”. 

From about record 59000 onwards they also wrote the age of the person above the burial number.  So, in the above record it says “89 yrs” above 77029.  That refers to my ggg aunt Margaret Stevenson who died on 26th Feb 1938, and when she was buried the grave was full – hence the note on the far right.

Most graves are marked as full after 4, 5, 6 or 7 burials.

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 21 08:55 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so, so much for the information. Could you please tell me where you saw the book? Was it at Belfast City Cemetery? The records I want will be mid 1800 so they may well be archived somewhere else but knowing that records exist is so helpful.
Thank you once again, I may be able to further my research that has been ‘stuck’ for a couple of years.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 21 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'll send you a PM, because I'm not sure if it's supposed to be public knowledge.  Not that it's a big secret or something, just I don't think they're set up for enquiries.

Offline Jackiedriscoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I’ve emailed Belfast CC twice but not had a reply. Not sure why because a previous enquiry the answered the same day. Do you know which department I need so that I can narrow the search?

Offline Draco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 October 22 23:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. I’ve emailed Belfast CC twice but not had a reply. Not sure why because a previous enquiry the answered the same day. Do you know which department I need so that I can narrow the search?
Jackie, did you get your query answered? I may be able to help you.