Author Topic: Boyle/Jeffrey family + Annie Day  (Read 514 times)

Offline codym2003

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boyle/Jeffrey family + Annie Day
« on: Thursday 18 February 21 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I've recently been looking into my great-grandfathers family as he never spoke about them and we knew very little about them. I found his mother's family and learned that her parents were never married and that her father John Boyle had spent most of his adult life living in Dundee with her mother Mary Jeffrey and their children when he had in fact been married to another woman the entire time.

John Boyle was married to Annie Day but never seems to have lived with or had any children with her. I've also thought they may have gotten divorced however he is still listed as married in the 1911 census (Mary Jeffrey is listed as a Boarder at their address).

Here's all I know about the family so far:

John Boyle - b. 1875 to John Boyle and Jane McCutcheon, m. 1894 in Dysart to Annie Day, d. 1945 (is listed on his death certificate as the widower of Annie Day)

Mary Jeffrey - b. around 1870 to William Jeffrey and Margaret Murray, never appears to have been married, d. 1937

Annie Day - b. around 1872 to Peter Day and Mary Moran, m. 1894 in Dysart to John Boyle (never remarries either), d. 1938 (is listed as wife of John Boyle but witness to her death wasn't a family member, was a man called Patrick whose title was 'Intimate Friend'.)

Children of John Boyle and Mary Jeffrey

Roland Smith Boyle - b. 1903, m. 1945 to Elizabeth/Lillian Potter, d. 1975 (got married and died in England, unsure of any children)

Margaret Mellis Boyle - b. 1905, m. 1926 to Alfred Meek, d. 1997 - had at least 7 children (Roland, George, David, Margaret, Fred, Phyllis and Evelyn)

(my great-great grandmother) Georgina Boyle - b. 1907, m. 1933 to Daniel Martin (died on La Crescenta oil tanker in 1934), 1936 to James Tierney, d. 1947 (died due to paralytic ileus from having an abortion - this was crazy as we were told she'd died of breast cancer by my great-grandfather) - unsure of any children with Daniel or James but had an illegitimate child in 1926 (My great-grandfather John Boyle Clark) with Charles Clark who she pretended to be married to on the birth certificate.

Joan Boyle - b. 1912, m. 1935 to James Foley McKenna, d. 1987 (unsure of where she died, date is based on other family trees) - had at least 2 children (Joan and Joyce)

Children of Mary Jeffrey only (all have no father listed)

James Jeffrey - b. around 1889

William Alexander Ramsay Jeffery - b. 1897, m. 1918 to Isabella Chalmers, d. 1919 (head was crushed by elevator) - unsure of any children

Alexander Jeffrey - b. around 1898, m. 1921 to Matilda Scott Forbes, d. 1943 (unsure of any children)

Any information on how this could be? Any help would be appreciated :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Boyle/Jeffrey family + Annie Day
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 February 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Any information on how this could be? Any help would be appreciated :)
Not sure what you are actually asking about, but if the question is how could the births be registered with no father's name, it is because the father of an illegitimate child can only be named on the birth certificate if he accompanies the mother when she goes to the Registrar to register the birth, and signs the birth certificate along with her.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline codym2003

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 February 21 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I was more asking why John would have lived separately from Annie without ever having a divorce and also if people knew anything more about those who were mentioned.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 February 21 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Divorce, in the period you are looking at, was very rare. More common to move away and take up with someone new and pass off as being married. Have a read here: www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/divorce/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk