Author Topic: Old Priory Hotel  (Read 1642 times)

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Priory Hotel
« on: Friday 19 February 21 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.  Hoping someone can help me find some historic information on the Priory Hotel in Beauly. 

From an undated picture in belongings of my great grandfather (William McDonald McKay born 1876 Glasgow/died 1960 Saskatoon Canada)  there was a picture of the Hotel.  Wording on back stated “my sister Christina standing at window and cousin Angus at door of my aunts Hotel”.  Also written  “TO Angus Paterson, Star Inn, Grant Street, Inverness”.   

I am still piecing together my family tree info through Ancestry and My Heritage and so far believe William’s mother (my GG grandmother was Isabella (Bella) McDonald (born 1850 Inverness; died Glasgow 1898) and married Alexander McKay (born 1840 Al’ness Rossshire/died pre 1898 Glasgow). 

I am hoping to find out the names of the former owners of the Priory to confirm some family names I have runs across and move forward in my tree.  There is no historic information on the hotel that I could find.  I am assuming William’s aunt mentioned may be Bella’s sister, possibly a Paterson or McDonald ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beth

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Old Priory Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 February 21 23:28 GMT (UK) »
hi dont know if this helps few bit from the scotsman newspaper  4th march 1891 fishing permit for river beauly apply james fraser priory hotel.      dec. 28 1895 bankrupcy william edmiston swan priory hotel beauly.   15th may 1897 for sale by public roup  priory hotel beauly tenented by mr george adams within the royal hotel inverness.  will try to look for any other info to mor.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 February 21 23:48 GMT (UK) »
from the aberdeen journal june 18th 1889    angling beauly last week mr james fraser priory hotel beauly landed a fine griles weighing 3lbs on the part of the river attached to this hotel

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Harry!

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Beth,

Scotlands People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk have the property valuations before James Allison it was James Fraser who were the proprietors.  Prior to 1885 the valuations simply list Hotel not the name and there were 2 or 3 Hotels in Beauly.

Was his Aunt married to James Allison?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
A few other mentions of the Hotel in newspapers:

Bankruptcy: William Edmiston SWAN, hotelkeeper of the Priory Hotel - Dec 1895

A mention of barman at the Priory Hotel - Norman Macloed - Dec 1896

Under new management - Lessee: George Adams - Feb 1897

Helen Ann JOHANSEN, domestic servant, charged with stealing from the Hotel - Aug 1908

Katie GUNN, barmaid died after burning accident, Mar 1913

Happy to transcribe any arrticles that may be of interest.  :)

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Don,

Thank you.  I am not sure who the aunt is.  I am only assuming it has to be on the McDonald side from Inverness and not the McKay side, and possibly my GG grandmother’s sister.  None of the pics shown to me from a cousin in Canada were dated unfortunately to give any clues and the pic of Christine McKay is too far away to determine a time frame by clothing or other clue and that is why I was hoping to determine approx when the hotel was there in Inverness. 

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:27 GMT (UK) »
The Priory Hotel was burned to the ground in 1913. In an article about the fire it says the Hotel was built 27 years ago, so c1886, at a cost of over £4000. And in another article described as "one of the most handsome in the village of Beauly".

Offline KBurke23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 February 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you maddys52.   Now I at least have a time frame so if an aunt or perhaps a spouse actually owned it then it was before 1913!   None of those names sound familiar but I will definitely keep track of them all while continuing.  I appreciate your offer for help.  I am in the US and my sister in Canada so it is sometimes hard to get more specific information.