Author Topic: William Latham  (Read 1529 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Latham
« on: Monday 22 February 21 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am interested in the Latham family of Ballytroan Co Tyrone . Latham can also be  spelt Leatham or Lathom
Rose Latham b abt 1630 was the daughter Of William Latham of Ballytroan and Rose ( Rosa) young who was I understand the daughter of Rowland Young of Drakestown co Meath.

It is probable Rose had siblings but who are they . Her  father  had most likely come at some stage from England but when. He was certainly there before Cromwell but  Was he latter rewarded with lands from Him .

Rose Latham married  George Blacker ,Blacker of Carrickblacker in Co Armagh  . There are trees and information on the Blacker family on line but while they mention Rose Latham and her parents there is no further information . Rose ( Latham) Blacker dies 4/2/1689 at Carrickblacker co Armagh and is buried at Seagoe Church .

Sorry not a lot to go on but interested in any information about the Latham family .
Thank you .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Latham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 February 21 16:57 GMT (UK) »

Her  father  had most likely come at some stage from England but when. He was certainly there before Cromwell but  Was he latter rewarded with lands from Him .

Possibly after "the Flight of the Earls " in 1607. That's the time period I'd suggest first. He may have been in Ireland before then.
Whether he was rewarded by Cromwell depends on which side he was on during the Civil War. If he was on the Royalist side he might have had property confiscated and got it back again after the Restoration.
Cowban

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 February 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. Will need to look up. My knowledge of the various settlements is very poor. His son in law was a Royalist.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 March 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
mentioned on find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 March 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
mentioned on find my past

http://www.findmypast.co.uk

Where on FindMyPast?

Your link just takes one to the general search page if you are registered with FindMyPast.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 11:29 GMT (UK) »
family mentioned on Peerage site

http://www.thepeerage.com

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 March 21 01:36 GMT (UK) »
A suggested origin of the name Lathom is hlatha, Old Norse word for barn. That may explain why there are several places with variants of the name in Lancashire and Yorkshire.

Lathom House in Lathom near Ormskirk, Lancashire was built by a member of the Stanley family (Earls of Derby) after a Stanley married a Latham heiress, daughter of Sir Thomas Latham. It was a key stronghold in northern England in the civil war. Stanley was executed 1644.
Other notable Latham/Lathom families in Lancashire, mainly Royalists and recusants:
Lathom of Mossborough near Rainford. Mossborough House was in the possession of the de Lathom family from 13th-17th centuries, then a Molyneux through marriage and later sold to Earl of Derby. Henry Lathom of Mossborough was on a list of recusants who compounded their fines in 1629 ("Lancashire Catholic Recusants about 1630" article by J. Brownhill published by Historical Society of Lancashire & Cheshire*)
Lathom of Allerton near Liverpool.
Lathom of Parbold

I have a tenuous connection to William Lathom of Tarbock, near Prescot. His grandson, also William was a relative of a 4x great-grandmother. A daughter of the elder William may have been my 6xGGM and grandma of the aforesaid 4xGGM. William Lathom the grandson was a militia officer in Ireland for part of the war against Napoleon.

*Quotation from article "Catholic Recusants about 1630" "King Charles ... (who had been drawn into a war by his Parliament ...) offered to maintain 5000 men to serve his majesty in Ireland ...".   
Cowban

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 March 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank You . William Latham is proving a popular name and through marriage it appears that the Tyrone  William Latham mentioned above is linked to the William Latham family in Co Londonderry.

Barbara Latham 1657 marries Henry Young 1650-1706 and their daughter Elizabeth Barbara  Young 1673 marries Stewart Blacker .Barbara was a daughter of William Latham and Elizabeth Richart from Londonderry

Stewart Blackers  grandmother was Rose Latham from  Ballytroan Co Tyrone  who wed George Blacker mentioned in my first post.

Perhaps the different branches of the Latham's were distant cousins like wise the Youngs  but alas I suspect it will remain a mystery.