Author Topic: RA Coldstream Guards 1899 - 1901 - Short Service Attestation  (Read 221 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
RA Coldstream Guards 1899 - 1901 - Short Service Attestation
« on: Tuesday 23 February 21 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Good evening

I have been trying to decipher my ancestor's military records. I believe I have the following basic information:

Corps in which served: Coldstream Guards Field Artillery
Service:                       Enlistment 07.01.1899
                                  Home         07.01.1899 - 11.11.1900
                                  Australia     12.11.1900 - 13.04.1901 - Inauguration of the commonwealth
                                  Home         14.04.1901

After limited research I have found numerous references to Australian Commonwealth Celebrations in 1901 with photographs of Coldstream Guards marching. Did they travel to Australia just to take part in the inauguration of the commonwealth?

His rank as Driver - is that an actual rank or was he a driver?

His short service attestation sheet quotes 12 years service but there is no mention of his discharge just his last posting home. Minor injuries are recorded on his military history sheet. What was he likely to have done for the rest of his service? Did he complete his service as no discharge was recorded on his military sheet?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Amanda

Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RA Coldstream Guards 1899 - 1901 - Short Service Attestation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Difficult to comment without seeing the records. May we know his name and number?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Difficult to comment without seeing the records. May we know his name and number?

Hi

I didn't give his name purely because it's just general information I am looking for.

I am unable to find reference to a rank of Driver so assuming he drove though what I'm not sure at that time.

His service record is brief so I am wondering if he would actually have to complete his 12 year service even though only a couple of years is recorded.

I guess am looking for a "Driver's" role in the Coldstream Guards apart from ceremonial engagements as in his case around 1900.

Thanks.

Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 February 21 23:25 GMT (UK) »
"Coldstream Guards Field Artillery" doesn't make a great deal of sense to me so I would like to view the records in question in order to make informed comments.

Artillery units did have Driver ranks - they were the ones that drove the horse drawn limbers that pulled the guns. But it's the Coldstream Guards connection that is puzzling me.

And yes, Guards regiments were represented in Australia for the Inauguration celebrations in 1901.

Minor injuries are recorded on his military history sheet. What was he likely to have done for the rest of his service? Did he complete his service as no discharge was recorded on his military sheet?
I'd need to see the records to comment on that.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk