Author Topic: Armstrong family Belfast  (Read 3222 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong family Belfast
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, Valuation Revision Books 1915-1930 don't record any change from Fras. Steele at number 50 My Lady's Road, so no help there.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
It's an interesting date as my grandfather (Margaret's son) was born in 1918.... I wonder if they moved due to this supposed "shame". I don't know when my Lizzie brought him home though as from Malone place he went into a children's home.

Think you meant 1914.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Potential red herring alert, but interestingly, there was a Gordon Getty in Ballymena at 1911 (as far as census returns, no others of that name combination in 1911 anywhere in Ireland):

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qcq/

I believe his full name was James Gordon Getty, albeit he was known as Gordon.

Huge coincidence, or...?

Bearing in mind Maggie's dad was at times noted as a stonemason or builder, this Getty chap was an Architect/surveyor, so feasible they may have crossed paths.

Offline Kk7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 17:52 GMT (UK) »
It's an interesting date as my grandfather (Margaret's son) was born in 1918.... I wonder if they moved due to this supposed "shame". I don't know when my Lizzie brought him home though as from Malone place he went into a children's home.

Think you meant 1914.

Yes I did ... Oops!

Offline Kk7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Potential red herring alert, but interestingly, there was a Gordon Getty in Ballymena at 1911 (as far as census returns, no others of that name combination in 1911 anywhere in Ireland):

This is potentially VERY interesting! Have just also found out that the house she was serving in broughshane was I think Guy Livingstone Wilson-the horticulturalist.... 🤔
However this Gordon Getty is deffo worth a look!!!!!

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qcq/

I believe his full name was James Gordon Getty, albeit he was known as Gordon.

Huge coincidence, or...?

Bearing in mind Maggie's dad was at times noted as a stonemason or builder, this Getty chap was an Architect/surveyor, so feasible they may have crossed paths.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 18:25 GMT (UK) »
There are about 20 Armstrong gravestones in Broughshane 1st Presbyterian graveyard.  I don’t see one to William and his wife Lizzie. However when he married his townland was Pollee and there are 4 graves which mention Armstrong & Pollee:

Armstrong in memory of William Armstrong, Pollee, died July 8 1901 his wife Nancy died April 17 1927 their daughters Agnes died Sep 1 1943 Sarah died Jan 15 1949 Mary died Feb 10 1953 Catherine died June 1 1953 and their son Samuel died July 7 1955

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Broughshane/Pallee/928259/

Erected in memory of John Armstrong late of Pollee who depd this life 21st Feb 1825 aged 59 years Also his grandson Andrew who departed this life on the 1st of October 1834, aged 9 years Also his wife Sarah who died on the 1st of December 1841 aged 74 years

Erected by James Armstrong of Pollee, to the memory of his beloved father John who departed this life on the 5th August 1849 aged 64 years Also the above named James Armstrong who died 13th January 1910 Also his wife Margaret who died 13th January 1910

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Broughshane/Pallee/928273/

Erected by James Armstrong of Pollee to the memory of his beloved mother Jenny Ann who departed this life on the 14th June 1849 aged 62 years Also his son William died on Monday 20th January 1908 aged 40 years

Elwyn

Offline Kk7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I don't think that's then as Williams wife was called Elizabeth .... Nee ward born in Kildare.
Check above posts... I believe those are will and Lizzie.
Appreciate your help!!!👍

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Kk7, if you read Elwyn's post again very carefully, you will see that he has said that although there is no obvious mention of your Willam's death on the headstones at First Broughshane, there are headstones belonging to families from Pollee/Pallee townland.

So, given the chap who seems to be 'your' William lived at Pollee/Pallee at time of his marriage to Lizzie, it is very possible he was related to other Armstrongs living there. In particular, as he listed his father as a William, the William and Nancy in the 1901 census, could potentially have been his parents, or even cousins of his father.

The other family groups mentioned by Elwyn are also worth checking in more detail, as well as those at Knockboy townland, as there could be links within either/both to 'your' William too (eg cousins).

If you haven't already done so, it would be a good idea to read through the whole thread again from the start, extract the various finds and suggestions, then organise these into manageable chunks to enable you to research each part more fully and effectively, thus hopefully avoiding further confusion.

You have had a lot of finds/suggestions/info given to you in a very short time today, and admit that this has previously been a brick wall for some while. It can therefore be very tempting to want to check everything all in one go, but don't rush things now. Deep breath and work through each find and suggestion step by step, attempting to either further prove or disprove as you go along.

Offline Kk7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 24 February 21 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh yes, I do apologise for a quick reply (between putting children in bed and retrieving a naughty cat from the garden) I don't think I gave enough thought. Now I have peace I shall investigate further.... This is unfolding a lot and it's very interesting..