Author Topic: Property Assessment Schedule 1880  (Read 264 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Property Assessment Schedule 1880
« on: Thursday 25 February 21 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello.

Researching the establishment and gazetting of, local public cemeteries in the 1870 - 1880’s I came upon this seemingly absurd question, by a reader to a newspaper.

“Is it necessary to include freehold allotment in cemetery, including tombstone, in property assessment schedule.”

Further research of the Auckland Star papers, found the following public notices that presumably challenged the enquirer. I did not spot a reply to the question asked.

In the case of the Waikato cemeteries, that I was looking into. Local settlements were seeking the crown to survey off, and gazette local cemeteries that were to be open to the public [ie local residents.]

The Crown required local cemetery trusts to be set up, so that the land could be vested to the community. With latter established ones, they seem to have been vested directly in already constituted, Highways Boards, and County Councils.

FREEHOLD ALLOTMENT
I find interesting. I am of the opinion that the purchaser of a cemetery, plot in the rural cemeteries I'm familiar with, would have been purchasing a right to occupy designated space, in perpetuity, within the public cemetery.

Also interesting is the possibility that the question was by a grieving parent trustee, under the terms of; letters of administration or probate.

I presume one would not be buying FREEHOLD title. Some city cemeteries of that period were already limiting the right to occupy, for years ranging from 90 to 120 years. One of the Australian MYERS, is in a grave who's right to occupy expires about now.

Also not familiar with the conditions in some cemeteries, where family tombs can be erected.

My comments are pertaining to local Waikato cemeteries. Legal ramifications with regards to graves occupied by my ancestors in Scotland, is a totally different legal scenario.

Alan.

PS A further clip not attached but link H/W
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS18800929.2.25?end_date=30-10-1880&items_per_page=10&phrase=2&query=property+assessment&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA&start_date=01-09-1880&title=AS

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.