Author Topic: Robert Biltcliffe - Hoylandswaine/Silkstone and Stainborough - 1660s  (Read 481 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Robert Biltcliffe - Hoylandswaine/Silkstone and Stainborough - 1660s
« on: Monday 01 March 21 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have found a Martha Biltcliffe, baptised 1665 in Hoylandswaine, baptised to a Robert Biltcliffe and his wife 'Mary'.

I have also found an Anne Biltcliffe, baptised 1663 in Holandswaine, baptised to a Robert Biltcliffe and his wife Jane.

I have a marriage for Robert Biltcliffe to a Jane Senior on 16th October 1662 in Silkstone.

My question is this:  In the baptism of Martha, the couple above are an Abraham and Mary.  Do you think that Jane's name may have been miswritten as Mary?  I can't find another marriage for a Robert Biltcliffe.  There is also a death of a Jane Biltcliffe in 1714, with spouse listed as Robert.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Emma
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Biltcliffe - Hoylandswaine/Silkstone and Stainborough - 1660s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 21 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma

I've only just seen your post about Robert and Martha Biltcliffe. I have made the assumption that Mary is a mistake for Jane, rightly or wrongly! Both the children you mention were named Martha too, which makes a copying up error even more likely.

I have an extensive database of Biltcliffe (and variants) as part of my one name study and don't have a possible marriage of a Robert to a Mary or a burial of a Mary in the timescale.

No guarantees of course!

Anne
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 21 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply! I hate to assume things with regards to genealogy, but this is the only way things seem to fit. As I have things, Martha married John Senior - please correct me if I'm wrong! If that is right, Martha was my husband's 9xGt Grandmother.
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 March 21 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have the same marriage to John Senior. Well done for getting back so far! You might like to look at my profile page at the Guild of One Name Studies. Just go on the website and do a surname search for Biltcliffe and you should find it.

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,

Your page is a very interesting read.  I just wish my husband's Biltcliffe genes weren't so dilute!

Just out of interest, do you know of a father/mother for Robert?

Regards,
Emma

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 20:50 BST (UK) »
No, nothing definite I'm afraid. There is a baptism of a Robert son of John Bilcliffe at Hope in Derbyshire 22 October 1637, but nothing else in the timescale. The records are very lacking of course.

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
I am almost certain that Robert would have been a local man - looking at the records, there are burials for Biltcliffes and variants of in Silkstone in the mid to late 1500s, suggesting an ongoing link at leas that far back. 

If only time travel were possible, eh?!