Author Topic: Burial or Cremation advice  (Read 586 times)

Offline ang1985

• RootsChat Member
  • Picture of my lovely Grandparents RIP
    • View Profile
Burial or Cremation advice
« on: Monday 01 March 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My grandmother and her family were from Berkshire, later Oxfordshire due to border changes. I  travelled from where I live in Norfolk to Wootton Vale of White Horse where they lived a few years ago and found the graves of my Great Grandparents and one of my Grand Uncles. My question is, I am due to go back there in July (obviously dependent on how things go) and I am trying to find out whether my Grandmothers other brothers and sisters were buried or cremated. Three of them died before Wootton was changed to Oxfordshire: one in 1952, one in 1967 and one in 1969. I wanted to find out before I visit again so I can visit them if they have graves. I have checked all the usual websites and records on Ancestry for burials but haven’t been able to find anything. Is there any cremation records, I would be able to search?. If the burial records for Wootton are available to search as well that would be great as I would be able to find out if they had an unmarked grave.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me 🙂

Angela
BARGAS  Berkshire & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUS Berkshire  & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUSS | Berkshire & Oxfordshire
BOWMAN England | Wiltshire
BULLOCK England | Norfolk | Banningham
BURGESS England | Norfolk | Reedham
DOUGHTY England | Norfolk | North Walsham
WRIGHT (England | Norfolk | North Walsham
HUDSON (England | Norfolk | Banningham/Swanton
Abbott/Knapton/Edingthorpe)
OLLEY England | Norfolk | Skeyton and Banningham 
PAGE England | Cambridge | Edgefield, Norfolk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Burial or Cremation advice
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 March 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
You need to contact the Records Office.  First establish in which registration district the deaths were recorded and which quarter.  www.freebmd.org.uk

Check to see if they left wills as quite often the actual date of death is shown in the bit you see online. 

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 March 21 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Wootton, Oxfordshire is situated just north of Woodstock.
Wootton, Berkshire is 3.5 miles NW of Abingdon.

There is about 12 miles between them ;D

ADDED:
Doh!
There are 2 places called Wootton in Oxfordshire!

Wootton is a village and civil parish on the River Glyme about 2 miles (3 km) north of Woodstock, Oxfordshire. In recent years the village is sometimes referred to as Wootton-by-Woodstock to distinguish it from Wootton, Vale of White Horse, which was in Berkshire but was transferred to Oxfordshire in the 1974 local authority boundary changes.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
The BRO lists its PR holdings on its website - the first place to check.

For Wootton they have burial registers up to 1947.  This probably means that the next register is still in use - and would include any burials in the years mentioned.  Contact the incumbent, or, usually better, a churchwarden to see if they are willing to do a look up, perhaps even allow you to view them when you are in the area.  They should also be able to locate graves if they are buried there.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline ang1985

• RootsChat Member
  • Picture of my lovely Grandparents RIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all 🙂 I did wonder about asking the churchwarden if they had access to the burial registers, I know the years my relations died and the registration quarters for those years so that should narrow it down a bit. I was going to contact them anyway as I was hoping they would let me have a look round the church as it was locked last time I visited and so many of my relations would have used that church. It is a beautiful church, very picturesque.
BARGAS  Berkshire & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUS Berkshire  & Oxfordshire |variant of Barguss
BARGUSS | Berkshire & Oxfordshire
BOWMAN England | Wiltshire
BULLOCK England | Norfolk | Banningham
BURGESS England | Norfolk | Reedham
DOUGHTY England | Norfolk | North Walsham
WRIGHT (England | Norfolk | North Walsham
HUDSON (England | Norfolk | Banningham/Swanton
Abbott/Knapton/Edingthorpe)
OLLEY England | Norfolk | Skeyton and Banningham 
PAGE England | Cambridge | Edgefield, Norfolk