Author Topic: The Roberts family of Sennen  (Read 4124 times)

Offline Anthony Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Roberts family of Sennen
« on: Monday 01 March 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »
When I started my search some seven years ago I never dreamed I'd get as far as I would. I'm a little stuck now though.

Has anyone else delved deep into the Roberts family of Sennen Cove, Cornwall? Are you encountering the same issues as myself regarding possible cousins marrying circa 1862, Stephen and Grace? My attempt at a tree is a mess!

Following the online records as far as I could I've hit the marriage of John Robards and Christian Webb (Weeb?) in 1712, but can get no further. There are six possible Cornish baptisms for a John Robards/Roberts/Robertes circa 1686. I'd love to know if anyone's gotten further, and some possible clarification/confirmation. I've come across an Arthur and June as John Parents via someone else's ancestor research, but can't confirm this.

I know some of the family emigrated to Victoria, Australia circa 1850 (William Roberts), while my branch moved to the Rhondda, South Wales, circa 1900 (Thomas Roberts). It'd be interesting to get in touch with descendants of those that stayed in Sennen.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Roberts family of Sennen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
The WEEBB family are from Gulval - 10 miles from Sennen Cove
there are baptisms for them there up to 1875
your Christian Weebb baptism is here
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J39P-7BQ
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Anthony Roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I already had a brief look at the webb/Weeb family, I made a note of Christian's place of birth and parentage, but I'm more interested in the Roberts/Robarts line.

Sennen Cove has become an obsession of mine, it's my aim to find out when we first arrived there, and roots beyond John Robarts.

There is a 'John Robert' mentioned in the 1569 muster roll, “Touching the armour and weapons for the better service of the prince. We have within our parish of Sennen, bill, 6 arrows.”

Finding a link between the two, a span of a Century, would be next to impossible, but it's interesting, and I hold out hope.

Offline Nigel Bic

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I’m married to Ann Florence Roberts, whose family lived in Sennen (& Lundy). Her forebears built ‘Roberts Row’ cottages down near the Lifeboat.
Ann is also an avid family tree investigator. Did you know her/ presumably yours Grandfathers picture is above the door of the pub, for instance.

I’ve joined, specifically to respond to you. I hope you get to see this, and can find a way of tracking me.

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 January 23 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Anthony was last active in November 2022.  Providing he hasn't changed his email address he should receive notification of your post.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire