Author Topic: No. 4 on BC  (Read 390 times)

Offline icustosi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
No. 4 on BC
« on: Tuesday 02 March 21 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I have my grandmother's BC 1880, Daisy Helen White, that has the father's name, William McIntyre, crossed out and a no. 4 written over the top of his name. Her mother's name was Agnes White,  no occupation. Can anyone explain this to me
 Thank you Val Newman

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: No. 4 on BC
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Are you referring to the GRO certificate for Daisy Helen WHITE, reference Volume 6d, page 445.
So is column 4 on the pre-printed document headed "Name and surname of father".   If so, you will notice that the baby is actually not given a surname on that document. But it is indexed under mum's maiden name of WHITE.  That suggests that Daisy's mum and dad were not formally married to each other when Daisy was born, and that dad had not accompanied mum to register Daisy's birth, so the registrar had written dad's name and then had to strike it when he realised the couple were not formally married to each other.  In that era, babys' birth registrations with GRO did not actually provide for baby to have a surname recorded for them.   

Hope that helps,

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 07:05 GMT (UK) »
I have my grandmother's BC 1880, Daisy Helen White, that has the father's name, William McIntyre, crossed out and a no. 4 written over the top of his name. Her mother's name was Agnes White,  no occupation. Can anyone explain this to me
 Thank you Val Newman

Without seeing what you are referring too I would suggest it is correction number 4.
These are called numbered corrections and indicates an error made & corrected, as the register entry was being filled out.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline icustosi

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes, my grandmother was illegitimate and raised by another couple from a very small baby.
 Thank you for your help
 Val Newman