Author Topic: Records of a Manslaughter trial in 1947  (Read 616 times)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Records of a Manslaughter trial in 1947
« on: Wednesday 03 March 21 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My mum's cousin was charged with manslaughter in 1947 when he was involved in a car crash in Moorfields EC London and his father and one other person died. I have found the relevant article in the Daily Herald Newspaper in May 1947. I am not sure if any coroners records will exist for this year there was definitely a postmortem. Does anyone know if there would be court records from this period online? My Mum told me when I was a child that the trial had been heard in the Old Bailey - but the online records stop in 1913 I think. If not the Old Bailey does anyone know of what other court the trial might have been in. Im not a Londoner so I dont know that area very well. Thanks Vicky
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Records of a Manslaughter trial in 1947
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 March 21 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked the National Archives website?  There appears to be a problem with access at the moment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vicky19

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Records of a Manslaughter trial in 1947
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was trying to search yesterday but didnt seem to get anywhere. It doesnt help I dont know what court it would have been in as I dont know the area. I presume it would be a Crown Court for Manslaughter... rather than a Magistrate Court. Mum said it was the Old Bailey but I really dont know if she was correct, she wasnt very old at the time. Sadly she passed away a few years ago so I cant confirm with her, my Dad remembers the story but doesnt know where it was held, it was years before they actually met. Thanks Vicky
Lillywhite, Dwane, Hatchett, Curtis, Giuliani, Payne, Meen, Rockliff, Leopold, Winney, True, Groombridge, Middleton, Agombar, Scanlon, Grice, Vezey, Hindley, Cannell, Welch