Author Topic: Makepeace  (Read 394 times)

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Makepeace
« on: Friday 05 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help please.

Matthias Makepeace married Elizabeth Gordon.

Gro has June qtr 1849 births for Matthias and Elizabeth Makepeace,  both mmn Gordon.

Free reg has burial of Elizabeth Makepeace 15 April 1849, wife of Matthew.

Also has burial of Matthew aged 3 months on 29 June 1849 and Elizabeth on 20 September 1849 aged 5 months.
In 1851 Matthias is a widower.

There is no Matthew birth registered in 1849.

I believe these children were twins but so far can't find a baptism to confirm.   
Also a problem that Matthias could be mistranscribed as Matthew

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Makepeace
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 21 11:41 GMT (UK) »
If the birth registrations numbers are exactly the same then they were twins.

It all sounds right to me.  Matthew/Matthias. 

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 21 11:59 GMT (UK) »
If the birth registrations numbers are exactly the same then they were twins.

It all sounds right to me.  Matthew/Matthias.

Thanks,  never thought about the numbers.🙂

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
May be late with this as I see two replies have been made while I was working.

Durham Co. Advertiser 20 April 1849 - Death - 11th inst., Elizabeth wife of Mt Matthias MAKEPEACE, upholsterer, aged 37.

The births in Freebmd of Matthias and Elizabeth in q2 1849 are both recoded as being in Tynemouth vol 25 page 502 so I do not see any way they could be other than twins.

Assuming they were born near the end of March (say 25th March) then they would be age 3 months on 29th June and 5 months on 20 September.

I see no difficulty in thinking that Matthias was mistyped as Matthew but if you really need to know for sure you could buy the birth and death certificates.

Burial at Newcastle All Saints of Matthew MAKEPEACE age 3 months on 29 Jun 1849 has his abode as Concord Court.
Burial at Newcastle all Saints of Elizabeth MAKEPEACE age 5 months on 20 Sep 1849 has abode as High Terrace Street. [she may have been in the care of relatives or a wet nurse]
Burial at Tynemouth Anglican of Elizabeth MAKEPEACE age 37, wife of Matthias MAKEPEACE, on 15 April 1849 has abode as Stephenson street.

Do any of those abodes fit?

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 March 21 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Cambrian News 14 May 1875
A Man Found Dead At Wrexham
On Tuesday morning, May 11, and old man, named Matthias MAKEPEACE, a cabinet maker by trade, was found dead in the Ruthin road burial ground. The deceased had been in the Workhouse for some time, and he came out on the 17th of April. Since then he had been lounging about, begging, and sleeping in outbuildings, and he was heard to say on Monday that he should go into the burial ground to die.

Wrexham Guardian 15 May 1875  - Inquest - says he was an upholsterer age 67, native of Northumberland but had lived in Wrexham about 23 years and had worked for Mr PEIRCE, cabinet maker, Bridge Street and other tradesmen. Has 3 grown up children one of whom was working in Liverpool some time since. etc - too much for me to type up.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 March 21 12:37 GMT (UK) »
1851 Matthias is at Pearsons Row, hs youngest son is 5.
There's no enumeraters schedule to see if the other address were in the same district.
I would think that the twins were being looked after elsewhere. 

Thanks.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 March 21 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Cambrian News 14 May 1875
A Man Found Dead At Wrexham
On Tuesday morning, May 11, and old man, named Matthias MAKEPEACE, a cabinet maker by trade, was found dead in the Ruthin road burial ground. The deceased had been in the Workhouse for some time, and he came out on the 17th of April. Since then he had been lounging about, begging, and sleeping in outbuildings, and he was heard to say on Monday that he should go into the burial ground to die.

Wrexham Guardian 15 May 1875  - Inquest - says he was an upholsterer age 67, native of Northumberland but had lived in Wrexham about 23 years and had worked for Mr PEIRCE, cabinet maker, Bridge Street and other tradesmen. Has 3 grown up children one of whom was working in Liverpool some time since. etc - too much for me to type up.

Yes, this is Matthias,  I am researching him for a local history group. Poor man.