Author Topic: sarah A Wiles (1826)  (Read 833 times)

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
sarah A Wiles (1826)
« on: Friday 05 March 21 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi its me again and hopefully this time I will not take you on a wild goose chase like I did with the Paynes.
This Sarah shows up on the 1881 census with her "Uncle" Pharez Swaile Morris (1886-1809)(he is MY 3rd Great Grandfather) but although she is transcribed as "servant", it clearly reads NIECE. The thing is I cannot find her parents at all as I only have 3 siblings for Pharez and the girls I think did not marry. Sarah was born in 1826 in St Neots according to that census and she is with her 3 children Ada Ellen 1870 William Bonnett 1874 and Arthur Henry 1877. She is noted as S for single. In the 1891 census she is there again in her own place with the children plus another Frederick A 1882. I have tried every combination of names and on Williams marriage it does say HIS father is William Bonnett Wiles too but there is no marriage between A William Wiles and a Sarah. On one of the childrens birth record, it states Wiles as his mothers maiden name. Not sure where she fits in at all though with my Morrises...any help please

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: sarah A Wiles (1826)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 March 21 23:14 GMT (UK) »
If she was b 1826 she would have been too old to be having children in 1877 and 1882  ???

1891 shows her birthyear as 1846 - can you amend your subject header to avoid confusion

1871 entry

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFF7-N19
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 March 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
She is on the 1851 census with parents Freeman & Naomi

HO107/1750/213/9

Birth on freebmd Sept qtr 1845 - mothers maiden name was Morris as per GRO online

1861 - a servant in Bedfordshire

She was born as Wiles so no marriage.  Children made up a fathers name to appear “respectable”. He may have been “William Bonnett” but he wasn’t married to Sarah
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 March 21 23:38 GMT (UK) »
There is a 26yr old William Bonnett b Stotfold Beds - single - on the 1871 census.  Sarah’s 3 youngest children were all b Stotfold

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 March 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has St Catharine, Litlington, Cambridgeshire Bapts etc.

PHAREZ Morris 2 Mar 1806 to Wm/LUCI Morris (mother Swales)
[MORRIS] [BT MORRIS] Pharez son of [blank][BT Wm] and Luci [BT farmer] baseborn. (Trans note: I made a duplicate entry with surname MORRIS to insure info is found)

Other children ;
Pelatiah 1807 (male)
Naomi 1811 buried same year
Aser (male) bapt 1813, born 1809

NAOMI Morris bapt 24 Mar 1818 (birth 24 Mar 1814) to WILLIAM/LUCY
Father a Farmer

So Pharez and Sarah Wiles Mother Naomi are Brother/Sister.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Julie Wedlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: sarah A Wiles (1846)
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 March 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carole and Trish

When Carold said that Sarahs Mother was a Morris, I thought well I have been through the 3 siblings..Palatiah (who I thought was female according to census anyway) but she died as a Morris, Asa died young too and so did Naomi. But i did not know there was another Naomi, I was not aware of her...so that was interesting. Does that mean that the 2nd Naomi married a Mr Wiles to have Sarah? At least I have more info now, so thanks alot...I took Sarahs date from 1881 census and although I always look at all census to get a round about date, it is sometimes only the death that gives the definitive. And of course I only have GR and Ancestry to work with...Thanks again.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 March 21 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes CaroleW found that info for you.
That is;
1851 Census Sarah Ann with Parents Freeman and Naomi Wiles.
And her Birth Reg with mmn Morris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 March 23 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Which part of the county are we in?

If it's up towards the Huntingdonshire (now Cambridgeshire) border, there was a Wiles family up in Great (Huntingdonshire) and Little (Bedfordshire) Staughton, and spilling over to St Neots (Huntingdonshire) which  we've been discussing a bit over on the Huntingdonshire board. She she fit in with them at all?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright