Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 7th March  (Read 942 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 7th March
« on: Sunday 07 March 21 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Another cold start to the day, decided to wait till afternoon to go for a walk as my Tesco order was due 1-2 and I'd been faffing about for ages. Put some earrings in, not to look glam for the delivery driver but to stop the holes closing over, I haven't worn any for months.
Got my spare phone out of the car, it's a pay as you go just for emergencies, I normally send myself a text once a month so it doesn't get disconnected. Hadn't remembered for months and it has been disconnected. Couldn't find the charger for it, am wondering if I've thrown it out thinking it was an unused one. Really couldn't be bothered to do anything more about it. Started the car while I was there just to make sure it's still okay.

Delivery arrived, did all the usual then went for a walk. Several boys playing football on the field, a number of people out with children. It wasn't feeling as cold. Had a cup of tea when I got home then decided to see what it was like in the garden. It was very pleasant, spent a couple of enjoyable hours gardening. I started off edging the lawn, its messy edges had been annoying me. I'm easily sidetracked and when I'd done the worst side I found myself weeding the back of the border at the other side and fastening the honeysuckle to the fence with ties. It was good to be able to do that side of the garden without nosey neighbour hanging around and it all looked so much better afterwards.

Just did some scampi for tea with jacket potato and veg, something that was easy. Watched the Pottery Throwdown, another great programme, I think this series has been the best I can remember. The person who was voted off was as I expected, I was surprised really that they hadn't gone before this. Can't say I agreed with the compliments given to that person by the judges, I thought what they had made was awful. The final next week should be interesting.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 7th March
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 March 21 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Another busy day Roobarb - nice to get out in the garden and start tidying things up too...

Today was sunny, very windy and when I went outside I was surprised just how cold it was!
Message from son with more pictures of virtually finished pool house... all painted, guard rail around the pool, lots of soil added in borders and new planting scheme done... just ceiling boards to do and roller door arriving Friday...busy bees... my card for DiL’s birthday still not arrived although posted over a month ago!

After a late start and breakfast read the Sunday papers most of the morning... we did think about going for a walk but my knee was giving me jip and OH was having some issues with his hip... just had a potter in the garden but not for long as it was so cold...
Managed to finally sort out the Ancestry subs using the link on RC and got it half price...
had a message via A from a potential 4th cousin... we share 65cM looking for... well frankly a needle in a hay stack... not sure where to start looking to assist! I replied straight away and he sent more info but still not sure it’s enough to be going on with... food for thought!
After lunch we played scrabble and now I’m just one down...
Had a message from my friend to say she was feeling less tired but still in pain... they’d let her out of hospital without any pain killers... her son soon sorted it out for her... she’s got a plate and eight pins keeping it all in place and has got to wear the belt and sling for two weeks... just such a pity we can’t assist in anyway to give her hubbie a break... fortunately he’s quite domesticated!

Dinner was roast leg of lamb which I covered with the rest of the garlic, herb crust mixture left from yesterday along with the usual vegs etc to go with it... a beautiful NZ joint from Lidl’s.. so tender like butter when you sliced into it..

Message from daughter to say they’d had a busy w/e... what’s new... boys bit apprehensive about school although looking forward to it! Two more fish purchased called Jimmi Hendricks and Aerosmith!

Watched Pottery Throwdown and agree with Roobarb the right person left and we were surprised they’d not left in previous weeks... it’s an enjoyable programme to watch and I much prefer the current presenter than the previous one.
Watched golf and OH was disappointed with the winner but it had been a good competition right till the end... unlike the cricket against India where we were pretty poor...
Tomorrow is another day and we shall see what it brings... so sorry to hear that Nazarin Zaharia looks like having to face yet another court case... feel so sorry for them all....

Stay safe and cheerful everyone... nice to see Viktoria back with her usual bright cheerfulness...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I had to smile at your comment Roobarb about putting earrings in.  I did exactly the same last week as I was worried about the holes closing over. I love my earrings but just chose a pair of simple gold hoops I could leave in.  Strangely I did feel a bit more glam, especially as I had managed to get an appointment with my hairdresser for the 14th April. I can't wait for a cut and colour, thank god its been hat wearing weather.  Just need an appointment for an eyebrow tint now and I'll be good to go when restrictions start to lift  8)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 March 21 10:07 GMT (UK) »
I know what you mean about earrings Roobarb... what with going nowhere, and wearing woolly hats, I haven't bothered with them in ages either.  :-\
Great to be able to get into the garden and be soothed by the occupation it provides.

Caroline, dinner sounds delicious. Glad you got the A sub sorted, and that your friend has been in touch. (I am sure the recovery will inevitably take a few weeks.)
Hope you and OH feel less crocked very soon.

We had a beautiful sunny morning, but I hadn't realised there was a vicious North East wind coming at the back of the flats so I was a bit under dressed when H and I went out for a walk.  The Prom was predictably crowded so we walked over to the lakes. The approach was somewhat drier than last week, and timing was good, so not overly busy and fairly tranquil.
Spotted various patches of ice as we walked around; the egret perched in a tree, also a pair of Canada geese, which could be the pair who produced adorable golden fluff balls last year.
At times during the afternoon, between cloud banks, I was able to sit out on the balcony reading, though I did need to wear a jacket.
I agree with what you have both said about the Throwdown, I actually look forward to watching it.
This semi final elimination certainly had a bad week!!

Added: Well done Jo.... I was never good at "glammed up" and I have totally lost the knack now!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 21 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Love the word ‘glammed up’ what’s that...😢😀

I don’t think I’ve worn jewellery for such a long time now that it will odd when we do eventually get dressed up to go out...
Have worn a dress here and there but not gone to town much with accessories...

Just need hair sorting out now it’s got so long... worn in a pony tail most of the time!

MH - you’re brave to sit outside in a jacket reading... I like to cosy up in the warmth...

Caroline
Onwards and upwards ...
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 March 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb, you reminded me ,I seldom use my mobile ,prefer carrier pigeon - no last year I lost all my credit , was at hospital and tried to phone son to come and pick me up ,said not enough credit !
Passing through our town nearly at home ,I popped into Tesco and  put £25
on. When trying it again at home again not enough credit .
So phoned by landline and was told I had not made enough calls!
I had lost my credit ,but wait for this- there was then in total, including the latest £25 —— £ 91 credit!
I flew off the handle big time ,got it reinstated but from time to time phone my landline or my son just to get some calls in ,I will phone someone this afternoon as I will need the facility tomorrow when I have finished at the hospital etc.Son will take me and pick me up, but won’t wait ,it could be a good while - treadmill etc.
Got lots of fresh vegetables so will do a Woolton pie but with some Quorn.
Easy for tomorrow then.
Will hear how FH got in at school this evening when my daughter phones.

That lamb sounds lovely ,I am just about to order a fillet of lamb ,up here that  is the wide part of the leg, that leaves a rather long shank .
I like lamb for Easter ,so ordering early ,don’t like cold lamb however.
My M in L cooked lamb every weekend .
My then boyfriend and I had been to the cinema, Saturday evening.
We went back to his house and he decided to have a cold meat sandwich , but did not put the meat away - no fridges in those days .
We heard a clatter in the kitchen and the dog had jumped up and stolen the joint!
We had let him out and left the door open so he could come back in .
That was the dog that arrived home one Sunday lunchtime with someone else’s leg of lamb, where from ?
Next morning in the corner shop it was the talk of the neighbourhood ,my M in L  said  nowt!
He hated uniforms ,the postman used to swing his bag at the dog when the postie had to deliver to the works office ,well the dog was the self appointed guardian ,so barked furiously.
When the office was being burgled and Police came the dog would  not let them in the works premises at all ,the burglars had thrown stones at him but he loved retrieving anything thrown so thought it was a good game .

One item in  last week ‘s pottery programme was the large jar ,it did not fit the brief but the folds at the top were quite dramatic I thought .
Why they don’t stick  to the brief though!

My right ear closes up if I don’t wear earrings permanently so I got some very
dainty sleepers to wear all the time .
Take them out to clean regularly though ,dip on TCP and replace ,turning a few times .

I hardly change them nowadays.
Never wear jewellery nowadays, ,no chance is there!

That plate etc sounds really painful .

Lovely walks folks,nice to hear about them.
I’ll be off as soon as I can ,I need to get fit for the marathon foray to Bury market!
I do hope it has survived ,it is special, day trippers come in coaches ,honestly.
A walk round M&S ,the best chip shop in the world and Poundland,  if they too have survived .
IF ,a little word but big meaning .
Keep safe and well folks
Cheerio for now.Viktoria.

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 March 21 12:00 GMT (UK) »

I’k be off as soon as I can ,I need to get fit for the marathon foray to Bury market!
I do hope it has survived ,it is special, day trippers come in coaches ,honestly.

I believe you about Bury market Viktoria.  My parents used to have a 'day out at the market'. They travelled all the way from Sale!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 March 21 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Hope your knee is better today Caroline, and OH's hip. And of course your friend, hope she gets some relief.

Earrings make me feel more glam too Jo, although I haven't been feeling that way for a long time now, haven't worn a dress for a year!

Sorry about sending the wind down from here MH but sounds like it was a lovely day nevertheless.

Pleased to hear you got your phone sorted Viktoria, I'd have been furious at that amount.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 March 21 18:36 GMT (UK) »
I had put a lot on when I went to Spain ,but hardly used any , so it accrued .
I ought to be able to make however many or few calls that suits me.
I hate technology, says she who has found my iPad a Godsend in these times.

The snippets of THAT interview have me boiling ,Meghan is an actress , and can work the camera..
Oprah seemed to lead with her questions - well the few I have heard,that would  all have been rehearsed !
Rubbish,utter rubbish.
On that note I will leave you.
Cheerio.