Author Topic: David McCulloch 8/10/1823  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David McCulloch 8/10/1823
« on: Tuesday 09 March 21 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the life of David McCulloch, born to Thomas McCulloch and Elizabeth Gray on 8/10/1823 baptised 12/10/1823 in Ayr.

I keep hitting brick walls;

I have tried ancestry which does have a David McCulloch born 1823 Scotland and died in Wisconsin, USA 1895, (married to Jean Alison Dunbar & Eliz Ege), but this does not seem to fit with his mother Elizabeth Gray!!! !!
Also David McCulloch married to Susannah Franklin, again this does not seem to fit.!!!

Hope someone can give me a thread which a can follow up.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: David McCulloch 8/10/1823
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 16:39 GMT (UK) »
When you say that the David who married Jane Allison and remarried in the US does not fit regarding his mother's details, what do you mean?

Is there a different name showing on some document? What does it say regarding his father if so?

Notice that his first born children with Jane Allison were a Thomas and an Elizabeth G...which would fit with the parents' names you have.

David's Find a Grave entry listing children www.findagrave.com/memorial/70788811/david-mcculloch

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 16:47 GMT (UK) »
What more do you know about your David McCulloch?

You are very wise not to trust Ancestry.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 18:50 GMT (UK) »
From the SP index:

Thomas McCulloch and Elizabeth Gray's marriage is recorded in Ayr and St Quixox (neighbouring parish) on 27-8-1808.

Their children are baptised in Ayr:

William 9-7-1809
Thomas 16-6-1811
Janet 19-9-1813
Elizabeth 23-6-1816
William 11-10-1818
David 12-10-1823

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thomas McCulloch, mother's maiden surname Gray, died in Kilmarnock in 1866 aged 55.
Janet McCulloch, mms Gray, died in Kilmarnock in 1870 aged 56.

There are just 4 deaths in Scotland of David McCullochs, born 1823 plus or minus 5 years, with no mms indexed as yet. So it would be easy enough to check them all.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi GR2

I have the birth and baptism details for the children of Elizabeth Gray, but thank you so much for replying.

Forarian

The only details I actually have for David McCulloch are his birth & baptism dates and his parents names.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 14:40 GMT (UK) »
When you say that the David who married Jane Allison and remarried in the US does not fit regarding his mother's details, what do you mean?

Is there a different name showing on some document? What does it say regarding his father if so?

Have you found anything on this David that would help you further?

Monica  :)

Offline Maria McCulloch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica

On Ancestry the mother of that David McCulloch (Find A Grave ref 70788811 , wife's are Jane Alison & Eliza Ege), is shown as "Jane Paton".  I can see on Scotlandspeople 607/ 30 28  there was a David McCulloch born in 1822 in Muirkirk who's parents were WILLIAM MCCULLOCH/JEAN PATON FR664 (FR664).

So I am inclined to believe that this is not the son of Thomas McCulloch and Elizabeth Gray.

Hope this helps, et me know if you need anything else.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
You mean someone has added these parents for David on their tree? There are no sources to this given, which always means you should read this info as guesses  ::)

I do think this David could be the son of Thomas McCulluch and Elizabeth Gray and you should continue to consider to see where you get to with it.

From the little I have seen, David married a widow, Jane Allison. They show in Scotland for the 1851 census, before heading off to the US https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027a0ee9379091b11949b5/david-mcculloch-1851-ayrshire-ayr-1823-?locale=en David here is showing as born in Ayr in 1823 (which fits for the David, son of Thomas and Elizabeth).

His first born children in the US with Jane were Thomas (c.1852) and then Elizabeth G. (c.1854). Would have been good to find out what the G middle initial for Elizabeth stood for, but can only see it in registrations (birth and death index) as G. Pity!

I get the feeling that parent info for bride and groom was not introduced till later. The marriage index entry for David's second marriage to Eliza Ege in Wisconsin does not show parent info for them.

There is possibly an entry in shipping manifests for this David McCulloch arriving in Glasgow, age 70 and a blacksmith (as showing on his US registrations) on 25 July 1893 on the 'Furnessia'. If the same David, he must have been on a visit and then returned to Winsconsin before his death there in 1895. Can't easily see him on a manifest for his return.

Monica