Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10097 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:29 GMT (UK) »
The questions that remain;
- I can find no records of Morris/Moses, Ada Rosina & Harry in New York apart form their arrival, & nor can I find their return to London, which apparently was after a couple of years.
- Harry & family are not on the 1891 Census (prob in NY), but where is he in 1901?

They were back in London by 1897 when their son Joseph Moss was born in Poplar.

Birth
MOSS, JOSEPH       TARBARD 
GRO Reference: 1897  D Quarter in POPLAR  Volume 01C  Page 642

I think Ada was born illegitimately in 1868 in the Bristol area, as Ada Rosina Margaret Curnock.

Birth
CURNOCK, ADA  ROSINA MARGARET    -  [no mother's surname stated]
GRO Reference: 1868  M Quarter in CLIFTON  Volume 06A  Page 120

Her mother Sarah Ann Curnock married Thomas Tarbard in Poplar in 1874. The family is found there in 1881.

Ada used her stepfather’s surname of Tarbard when she married Morris Moss in 1888, and the birth registrations for her Moss sons give Tarbard as her maiden name.

But after Ada’s remarriage to Richard Vowles in 1908, the birth registrations of the children she had with him show her maiden name as Curnock.

I can’t find Morris/Moses, Ada, Harry or Joseph Moss in 1901. If Morris/Moses died in Whitechapel in 1904 (as stated above), the death certificate may give a useful address – unless perhaps he died in the London Hospital, which was in that district.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 26 March 21 00:24 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer your question, but it might be of interest.

The Daily News (London, England), Wed., Aug. 29, 1888, has a list of bankruptcy cases to "surrender in London," which includes "Moss, Morris, Prued-street, Paddington, clothier."

The Standard (London, England), same date, has: "Moss, Morris, Praed-street, Paddington, clothier, August 24."

I can't find anything else.

Edited to add:

The Morning Post (London, England), Wed., Sept. 19, 1888, has: "BANKRUPTS. NOTICES OF ADJUDICATIONS AND FIRST MEETINGS OF CREDITORS... M. Moss, Praed-street, Paddington, clothier and outfitter, September 26 [I think it's 26, but it could be 28], at 12."
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Friday 26 March 21 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Re. the trip to New York: I'm looking at a passenger list on FamilySearch.org. There's Morris Moss, 27; Rosina Moss, 22; and Harry Moss, 1 month; all born in England. But Morris's occupation looks like Sailor.

Is this the passenger list in question?

Updated to ask: Was that ship sailing from Amsterdam?
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 26 March 21 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Tailor rather than sailor, maybe?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 26 March 21 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Tailor rather than sailor, maybe?

I wondered about that, but there are other men on the same page who were listed as sailors, and the word looks the same to me. But maybe so.

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 26 March 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I had  look through Doreen Bergers books in which she has transcribed a lot of Jewish reports from the Jewish Chronical found this

Rachel Moses death at 10th July 1874 @ 25 Cutler Street Houndsditch  beloved wife of Zachariah Moses and Mrs Barnet Daughter and Mrs Judah Daughter.

also in Great Synagogue births
Isaac Butler Street Houndsditch  14th Oct 1864
Joseph  7 Market Street Finsbury  24th July 1851
Benjamin 6 Devonshire Street Bishopsgate 31st March 1857

MOSES, MOSES       JUDAH 
GRO Reference: 1858  D Quarter in EAST LONDON  Volume 01C  Page 13
all were children of Zachariah & Rachel Moses.

This is fantastic, thanks so much. Is this resource readily accessible?

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 26 March 21 15:49 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer your question, but it might be of interest.

The Daily News (London, England), Wed., Aug. 29, 1888, has a list of bankruptcy cases to "surrender in London," which includes "Moss, Morris, Prued-street, Paddington, clothier."

The Standard (London, England), same date, has: "Moss, Morris, Praed-street, Paddington, clothier, August 24."

I can't find anything else.

Edited to add:

The Morning Post (London, England), Wed., Sept. 19, 1888, has: "BANKRUPTS. NOTICES OF ADJUDICATIONS AND FIRST MEETINGS OF CREDITORS... M. Moss, Praed-street, Paddington, clothier and outfitter, September 26 [I think it's 26, but it could be 28], at 12."

What a find. Maybe this is why he goes to New York then...it seems he really fell on bad times.

There is a bit of a story emerging here. Son of a Jewish clothier who has clearly done quite well for himself marries a daughter of another successful Jewish clothier, & then tragedy strikes with the loss of her & his son. Then he appears bankrupt one year later, gas what appears to be a bit of a shotgun wedding with a Gentile daughter of a traveller, runs off to New York.

Then what is even sadder is what family member has in his written down memories of Moses. That he took Harry to NY, that his wife died out there & that he was a drunkard.

Well we know that Ada Rosina was back in London. So perhaps this was the story poor Harry Moss was told about his mother & perhaps he went through life thinking both his parents had died when he was a child. I find it rather heartbreaking to be honest!But just speculation...

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 26 March 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Re. the trip to New York: I'm looking at a passenger list on FamilySearch.org. There's Morris Moss, 27; Rosina Moss, 22; and Harry Moss, 1 month; all born in England. But Morris's occupation looks like Sailor.

Is this the passenger list in question?

Updated to ask: Was that ship sailing from Amsterdam?

I thought it was Tailor, if it was then everything adds up - names, ages, the family story etc. It's a shame I can't show u the travel doc, but it sounds like the one you found, yes the boat departed Amsterdam (maybe came via London?). I found it on ancestry, but I'll transcribe the important bits...

Ship: P Caland
Arrives New York 20/04/1889
Morris Moss 27
Rosina Moss 22
Harry Moss 1 month (I think it says that, that's how it's transcribed anyway)
2 pieces of luggage
Destination U.S of America

The family story is that they weren't allowed to stay or were turned back but who knows. It's the only doc I can find of this trip
Travelled in the Family Compartment

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Friday 26 March 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I wish I could find more on his bankruptcy case. I wonder if that's why they went to New York. Or maybe it had something to do with him marrying a non-Jewish woman. Or maybe both. It just seems strange to make such a big trip with a young baby.

When you say Ada Rosina was the daughter of a traveller, what does that mean? A travelling salesman? Or a traveller a.k.a. "gypsy"/Roma person? (Just curious.)