Author Topic: 20th Century Jewish brick wall  (Read 10286 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: 20th Century Jewish brick wall
« Reply #90 on: Friday 26 March 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Then what is even sadder is what family member has in his written down memories of Moses. That he took Harry to NY, that his wife died out there & that he was a drunkard.

Well we know that Ada Rosina was back in London. So perhaps this was the story poor Harry Moss was told about his mother & perhaps he went through life thinking both his parents had died when he was a child. I find it rather heartbreaking to be honest!But just speculation...

Do you know who raised Harry? We know that he was working for his paternal uncle, so it seems he was accepted by his father's family, at least.

It would be interesting to know if the family story was correct about the uncle not leaving anything to Harry in his will.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Friday 26 March 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Then what is even sadder is what family member has in his written down memories of Moses. That he took Harry to NY, that his wife died out there & that he was a drunkard.

Well we know that Ada Rosina was back in London. So perhaps this was the story poor Harry Moss was told about his mother & perhaps he went through life thinking both his parents had died when he was a child. I find it rather heartbreaking to be honest!But just speculation...

Do you know who raised Harry? We know that he was working for his paternal uncle, so it seems he was accepted by his father's family, at least.

It would be interesting to know if the family story was correct about the uncle not leaving anything to Harry in his will.

We should have the will in the next few days.

I have looked a lot at Issac Moss (Vernon), Harry's uncle - Harry wasn't with Isaac on the 1901 or 1911 census docs. I wanted to look to see if he was with his aunts Mary, Hannah or Fanny but I really struggle tracing forward in time, especially with women if they then lose their surname! But an idea for a rainy day.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 26 March 21 17:02 GMT (UK) »
We should have the will in the next few days.

I have looked a lot at Issac Moss (Vernon), Harry's uncle - Harry wasn't with Isaac on the 1901 or 1911 census docs. I wanted to look to see if he was with his aunts Mary, Hannah or Fanny but I really struggle tracing forward in time, especially with women if they then lose their surname! But an idea for a rainy day.

I hope you'll keep us all posted as you learn more. It definitely takes time and effort but, as you're seeing, it can be well worth it.

:)

City directories can be helpful for tracing people in non-census years.

I don't know if this applies to the London area, but I've had some success tracing people in city directories that aren't online but can be found in libraries. Children weren't listed, but sometimes teenagers were, depending on the era. I have found young adults, who were living at home and either going to university or working, listed in the family home (or sometimes at the address where they were living as a boarder). Sometimes a daughter was listed by her married name if she and her new husband lived with her parents for a while. If a workplace was listed, that can help differentiate between people with the same name in subsequent years.

Access will be hampered by the lockdowns, of course, but those won't last forever. It might be worth investigating.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 26 March 21 21:58 GMT (UK) »

This is fantastic, thanks so much. Is this resource readily accessible?
[/quote]

She wrote 2 books
1 the Jewish genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861 - 1870
2  the Jewish genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871 - 1880

Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Saturday 27 March 21 07:58 GMT (UK) »

She wrote 2 books
[/quote]

Currently not available at Waterstones and Book Depository.
Priced at £34:95
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 27 March 21 08:58 GMT (UK) »

She wrote 2 books

Currently not available at Waterstones and Book Depository.
Priced at £34:95

Check your local library (when it reopens). Several north London libraries have Berger on the reference shelves, including Hendon.

Offline JeremyS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday 03 April 21 17:40 BST (UK) »
Some info from the Issac Moss Vernon Will if you people are still interested in this story!

The Mrs Clayton was a Beatrice Clayton who lived in 17 Iverna Mansions in Kensington, & she was given the Hotel on Shaftesbury Avenue. Not really sure who she was.

His wife & sons got most of everything else, inc given the rights over the Gloucester Mansions of Cambridge Circus, but they still had to buy the freehold. The son Phillip was indeed given a bit of a cruel inheritance, he had to collect it weekly in London but was living in America or Canada at the time, it seems he came back & died in Margate area!

The Maggie Sayer of the newspapers isn't mentioned, prob why she went to court.

He leaves a little money to some nephews, a Lewis Edwards & a Benjamin Zachariah Edwards, not sure who they were but presumably one of his sister's sons.

And he leaves £150 & then £500 to "Harry Moss son of my brother Moses Moss".

Other clues are the associations he leaves money to;
- the Western Synagogue, Alfred Place, Tott Court Rd London
- the Jewish Board of Guardians, 127 Middlesex St London
- the Jewish home for Incurables
- the Home for Aged Jews in Wandsworth Common
- Charing X hospital
- a jockey & trainers home & hospital in Newmarket

I was wondering if the Jewish Board of Guardians might have had some involvement in Harry Moss' life. I had a bit of a look at the syngogue, seems it got bombed in the Blitz so not sure if they still have records...

Anyway thought you might like to know this.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday 03 April 21 19:35 BST (UK) »
That's wonderful I've not read the whole thread so don't know if it's already been said but the Jewish school s kept good records which is another way to find people between census es

They list exact birth dates address and date of entry leavin school

& Name of parent or guardian ...I was lucky found my great grandfather as parent or guardian of his little half sister their father must have been away that day

Also if you're lucky it will have school they came from and reason for leaving
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 03 April 21 20:42 BST (UK) »
Marvellous you do have evidence now.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.