Author Topic: Newbie, looking for Thomas and Harriet Watson of Ripley Derbyshire.  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Erica1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie, looking for Thomas and Harriet Watson of Ripley Derbyshire.
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 March 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help I feel that I have gone as far as i can without getting the marriage certificate. I have looked into every possibility but without any dates I just cannot be sure and i really want to do this right I have been doing this for months now I have started looking into newspapers which is fascinating but as yet not found anything in relation to any of my relatives yet

Paternal side,
Challenger Clutton Somerset England
Painter, Derbyshire

Maternal.
Callaghan, Nuneaton Lancashire, Ireland.
Howe, Nuneaton

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:46 GMT (UK) »

There are 2 marriages recorded for Thomas Watson in 1909 one for Basford and one that is Nottingham but I'm unsure which one it would be 

Queenie replied and confirmed which one to apply for so that's great.

Apologies if you already know this:

https://www.freebmd.org.uk

You can add in a spouses name to help narrow down the search .
Search for Thomas Watson and add in "Harriet" as his spouse's first name,  search a period of  1908-1910 (per that 1911 census, they'd been married 2 years but widen the search a bit to be sure) .

That search brings up just one result from the whole of England and Wales
Q2 1909 Watson Thomas Reg District: Basford vol 7b page 351
- sadly its rarely 'that' easy :-)
The result just lists one name - Thomas Watson so click on the page number (351) - there were usually at least 2 marriages on each page in the register- and it will show you who was on that page
and one of the brides was Harriet Emma Smith so that's the one you want.

According to the 1911 census transcript Queenie supplied, Harriet was born in Gotham.
In the results for that marriage on Free BMD, click on the District name of Basford - that takes you to a page that says it "spans Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire" and if you click on the word 'here' where it says you can get more info, that takes you to more detail about the places within that Registration District -  and Basford includes Gotham so that's a little extra weight to add to be it being the right record, as that was her birthplace.

That looks like a lot written down, but  it only takes a few seconds to actually do it.

Boo

Offline Erica1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 March 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that's Fab It's nice to know that my work hasn't been in vain! I have tried to find Thomas birth but nothing is coming up unfortunately :'( 
Paternal side,
Painter, Derbyshire

Maternal.
Howe, Nuneaton

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to find Thomas birth but nothing is coming up unfortunately :'( 

The baptism from Lancashire online parish clerk I suggested is the correct date,name, and place, it can be found on freebmd dec quarter 1886 Preston registration district, it has to be a good possibility as bamber bridge would be unheard of in Nottingham unless you were born there

Mike

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »

The baptism from Lancashire online parish clerk I suggested is the correct date,name, and place, it can be found on freebmd dec quarter 1886 Preston registration district, it has to be a good possibility as bamber bridge would be unheard of in Nottingham unless you were born there

Mike

Though its possible Mike, I am unsure about that being the right record.
https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bamber-Bridge/stmary/index.html

If you click on the baptisms there are indexes for each time frame and there was only 1 Thomas Watson in the index which includes 1886 - baptism 5th Dec 1886, which is the one you found.

Now click on deaths and use the index to find the same time frame and there is a Thomas Watson, aged 4 months whose burial was 9th April 1887 - which looks quite possible to be the same child?

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Erica,

I am not sure what sites you have access to. If you can view the 1939 National Identity Register (we aren't permitted to do look ups on that in here) you should be able to find Thomas' birth date.

Were they buried in Ripley? Was this a churchyard or a municipal cemetery?

The gravestone photo you posted - I can see he died in April 1958 but can't read the date in April.

and do you know what it says on that cross which is in front of the stone for Harriet, Thomas and Evelyn Annie ?

Sorry, you came looking for answers and I am bombarding you with questions!

Boo

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 March 21 15:08 GMT (UK) »

Mike

If you click on the baptisms there are indexes for each time frame and there was only 1 Thomas Watson in the index which includes 1886 - baptism 5th Dec 1886, which is the one you found.

Now click on deaths and use the index to find the same time frame and there is a Thomas Watson, aged 4 months whose burial was 9th April 1887 - which looks quite possible to be the same child?

Boo

I missed that,  but I am a little confused by the abbreviations,  is (mos.) months and  (mens) minutes, some have hora, diem etc and one has 23 mens, which would have been almost 2 years.

I’m confused,

Mike

Offline Erica1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 March 21 15:11 GMT (UK) »
!6th April 1958 he died, he is buried in Ripley cemetery Derbyshire. The cross is just memorial cross that was added by relatives
Your help is so appreciated! i have been searching for months but i don't think I have been doing it correctly
Paternal side,
Painter, Derbyshire

Maternal.
Howe, Nuneaton

Offline Erica1980

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 March 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »

Mike

Boo
!6th April 1958 he died, he is buried in Ripley cemetery Derbyshire. The cross is just memorial cross that was added by relatives
Your help is so appreciated! i have been searching for months but i don't think I have been doing it correctly
oh that's a shame thank you both for looking though  :)
Paternal side,
Painter, Derbyshire

Maternal.
Howe, Nuneaton