Author Topic: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,

Wondering if anyone living in Worcester could look up below marriage between Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow, see if there are anymore details such as their abode, witnesses, etc? I have looked on FreeReg, Ancestry, Family Search to no avail and do not have access to Find My Past. I'm also doing this for my 81 year old Auntie, who came across this marriage years ago: -

Name:   Thomas Herring
Marriage Date:   10 Jul 1785
Marriage Place:   Saint Martin,Worcester,Worcester,England
Spouse:   
Mary Sparrow
FHL Film Number:   415132, 415133, 415134, 415135, 561598

Children, all baptised at St Mary's Oldswinford: -

John baptised 1 May 1786
Thomas baptised 16 Nov 1788
Mary baptised 5 Dec 1790
Maria baptised 10 March 1793
Sarah baptised 29 June 1794
Betty baptised 27 March 1796
Joseph baptised 25 Dec 1797
Charlotte baptised 12 June 1803

and am not entirely sure if Harriot is born to our Thomas and Mary or a different Thomas and Mary as she was baptised 7 April 1824 at Clent.

This is the only marriage that is the nearest to the eldest child, John who was baptised 1st May 1786 at St Mary's, Old Swinford, near Stourbridge and his other siblings were also baptised. Thomas Herring and Mary lived in the Old Swinford area but Mary may have originated from Worcester hence being married at Worcester?

It will be much appreciated.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 21 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

there is a transcription of this marriage on the fhs (subscription) site, which has the additional info - both of the parish of St Martins, witnesses: James Richards, Sarah Richards, James Robinson.

Is the baptism of Harriot at Clent, 31 Jan 1802?
If so there is a note by the transcription (of Clent Parish registers) that it is transcribed as 'Harring' in the Bishop's Transcripts.

hth
Lisa

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Herring and Mary Sparrow marriage: 10 Jul 1785, St Martin, Worcester?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisalisa,

Thank you for your reply and the names of witnesses. What does fhs stands for?

Yes, the baptism date of Harriot was 31 Jan 1802 but seeing as all the other children were baptised at St Mary's, Oldswinford, I'm not sure that she is one of ours. There are variations of the family surname, Herrin such as Herring, Hearrin and Harring.

Do you have the link to the Bishop's Transcripts?

Thanks
Mags

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 16:26 GMT (UK) »
What does fhs stands for?

family history society  https://fhs-online.co.uk/

if you are a member of the Malvern Family History Soc, https://mfhs.org.uk/, you have free access to the fhs online Worcs records, which are transcriptions of the parish registers. 

Do you have the link to the Bishop's Transcripts?

No, this was just a note by a transcription of the Clent parish records, not online.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 March 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »

family history society  https://fhs-online.co.uk/

if you are a member of the Malvern Family History Soc, https://mfhs.org.uk/, you have free access to the fhs online Worcs records, which are transcriptions of the parish registers. 

Many thanks for the link to family history society, which was useful and also for letting me know of the benefits from joining Malvern Family History Society. 

I think I may have found Mary Sparrow's potential parents but at the moment cannot find a baptism for her in Worcestershire nor any other baptisms of her potential siblings so it may be possible that none of them were baptised or that they didn't have any children.

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:20 GMT (UK) »
In my own research, I have some people from Gloucestershire moving to Worcs and getting married sort of 'on the way' in Worcs, ie not at where they end up living.

Is Mary Sparrow the Mary Herring who is buried 1824 April 7 in Old Swinford, age given as 54?
(NBI National Burial Index transcription).
That gives a birthdate of 1770.

There is a baptism (church record on ancestry) of a Mary Sparrow, 24 May 1768 to William and Ann Sparrow at Bromsberrow, Glos.

Just a thought,
Lisa

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 March 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
In my own research, I have some people from Gloucestershire moving to Worcs and getting married sort of 'on the way' in Worcs, ie not at where they end up living.

Is Mary Sparrow the Mary Herring who is buried 1824 April 7 in Old Swinford, age given as 54?
(NBI National Burial Index transcription).
That gives a birthdate of 1770.

There is a baptism (church record on ancestry) of a Mary Sparrow, 24 May 1768 to William and Ann Sparrow at Bromsberrow, Glos.

Just a thought,
Lisa

Wow! We are following on the same lines!

Yes, by a strode of luck I came across the baptism of Mary after I found the baptism of Anne, daughter of William Sparrow, shoemaker of Dymock and of Anne, his wife, was baptised August 15th 1784 by the Reverend John H.... at Bromberrow, Gloucestershire! 

That's a wide gap in between baptisms of Mary and Anne... Can't find other siblings but they may pop up on Ancestry after a while. 

Also found the marriage of William Sparrow, occupation: Cordwainer and Anne Edmunds via FreeReg then Ancestry: -

23 April 1767 • St John the Baptist, Eldersfield, Worcestershire, England
William Sparrow. Groom's Parish: Ashleyworth GLS. Occupation: Cordwainer. Bride: Anne Edmands. Witness 1:Sarah Cowcher. Witness 2: Mary White. Anne signs with a mark X. File Line No: 67

and baptism of William Sparrow: -

20 Nov 1739 • St. Bartholomew, Redmarley D'Abitot, Worcestershire, England
Parents: Thomas and Mary Sparrow. File Line No: 2337. Source: FreeReg

and a possible death for William Sparrow: -

Name:   William Sparrow
Birth Date:   abt 1738
Burial Date:   11 Aug 1814
Burial Place:   Avening, Gloucestershire, England

Found the baptism for Anne Edmunds: -

Anne Edmunds
Baptism Date: 22 Feb 1747
Baptism Place: Eldersfield, Worcester, England
Father: Robert Edmunds
Mother: Anne
FHL Film Number: 291621

I hadn't come across this death for Mary Herring, nee Sparrow. This could be her if no other Mary Herring fits as ages are a bit of a hit and miss by a few years back then?  She would most certainly have been buried at Old Swinford.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Not sure re this possible death for William Sparrow as its further down south, nearer Stroud according to Google Maps so will put a question mark on this one for the time being: -

Name:   William Sparrow
Birth Date:   abt 1738
Burial Date:   11 Aug 1814
Burial Place:   Avening, Gloucestershire, England

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 March 21 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Argh! Looks like I have the wrong Mary Sparrow as according to 1851 Census, she's the one that married Thomas Durbin not Thomas Herring. Back to square one! :'(: -

Name: Thomas Durbin
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 21 Sep 1791
Marriage Place: Dymock, Gloucestershire, England
Spouse: Mary Sparrow

Name: Mary Durbin
Estimated Birth Year: 1770
Relation: Mother-in-law
Where born: Bromsberow, Gloucestershire, England
Civil parish: Dymock
County/Island: Gloucestershire
Registration district: Newent