Author Topic: Elizabeth EXON times two!  (Read 541 times)

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth EXON times two!
« on: Saturday 13 March 21 03:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a mystery which has had me stumped for a good 15 years.  There are two women born 22 years apart in Kilton, Somerset, both with the name Elizabeth EXON who "married" the same man named William MANN.

The first Elizabeth EXON was born in 1844 and married William MANN in Kensington, 15 April 1875.  They divorced in 1889 and another woman named Elizabeth EXON is named under the claim for adultery.  The "new" Elizabeth EXON and William MANN then have two children; Cecilia Exon MANN born in 1890 and William MANN born in 1891.  Both are described as the children of William and Elizabeth MANN of 101 Walmer Rd in their baptism records.

In the 1891 census they family are recorded under the surname MANN.  In the 1901 census, Elizabeth is living with her son William EXON and is recorded as the boarder of William MANN.  She is also using the surname EXON again.  Their daughter Cecilia has died of measles.

In the 1911 census, William, Elizabeth and their son are recorded with the surname EXON.  They are recorded as being married for 22 years which would have been 1889, the same year as the first wife Elizabeth EXON filed for divorce, but there isn't a marriage record.

William MANN senior died sometime between 1912 and 1918.  His son William MANN, is using the surname EXON when he married in 1918 and his death in 1936 is registered under the surname EXON.

The mystery is Elizabeth EXON as she doesn't exist prior to 1881 and disappears after 1911.  Co-incidentally, both Elizabeth EXONs worked for the same family with the surname WALTHAM who lived in Stanford Rivers, Essex.  Elizabeth (b. 1844) worked for the WALTHAM family in 1861 and Elizabeth (b.1866) worked for the same family in 1881.

Its a very complicated situation and if anyone can find details of the Elizabeth EXON (b. 1866) prior to 1881 or after 1911, I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks for reading my long winded post :)
Bailey, Exon, Coles (Somerset), Clarke, Piper (London) Keith (Ayrshire and Glenarm), McLeod and Matheson (Isle of Skye)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth EXON times two!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 March 21 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Have you you discounted this Elizabeth whose employers came from Kilton Somerset ??  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27D-7CKX

Kay

Sorry - I think you refered to this one in 1881

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 March 21 05:51 GMT (UK) »
1871   Could this family be relevant and Elizabeth has used her mother's maiden name??  Living at Kilve Somerset All born  Kilton Somerset

William Penny 30    Ag Lab
Eliza Penny 29    Wife
Elizabeth Penny  5   Daughter      
Martha Exon 23    Sister-in-law

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 March 21 06:12 GMT (UK) »
I can't see a marriage for William Penny to Eliza Exon or birth for Elizabeth under either surname  :-\

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 March 21 06:55 GMT (UK) »
I can't see the Penny family I posted above post 1871.   

I wonder if Elizabeth Penny nee Exon b 1842 Kilton was actually the Elizabeth Exon who married William Mann in 1876 (I see a Martha Exon was a witness on the marriage cert) and your second Elizabeth was her daughter Elizabeth Penny/Exon :-\   A reason why William and the second Elizabeth couldn't marry ??

Kay

Added  Martha Exon (from 1871 census I posted) with sister Eliza in 1851 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGGT-8J6

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 March 21 08:47 GMT (UK) »
As William and Elizabeth were living in Croyden Reg District in 1911 I wonder if this might be the death of the second Elizabeth of her age was mistrancribed?  :-\ 

EXON, ELIZABETH     age 42 
GRO Ref: 1914  Sept Qtr  CROYDON  Vol 02A  Page 320

Offline Fluffypants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 March 21 08:55 GMT (UK) »
As William and Elizabeth were living in Croyden Reg District in 1911 I wonder if this might be the death of the second Elizabeth of her age was mistrancribed?  :-\ 

EXON, ELIZABETH     age 42 
GRO Ref: 1914  Sept Qtr  CROYDON  Vol 02A  Page 320

Thanks for your help Kay99.  The Martha living with William and Eliza PENNY is definitely my Martha.  However, I wonder if the Eliza is actually Ann Eliza who was born in 1843 and is another sister of Elizabeth.  There was also a Betsy born in 1845 just to add to the confusion.  I will track through the William PENNY option to see where they came from and where they ended up.

The 1914 death registration is well worth pursuing and I'll order that certificate.
Bailey, Exon, Coles (Somerset), Clarke, Piper (London) Keith (Ayrshire and Glenarm), McLeod and Matheson (Isle of Skye)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I agree she is Ann Eliza 1843 as just saw the girls bapts on FreeREG :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)