Author Topic: DNA results  (Read 588 times)

Offline Marley21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA results
« on: Tuesday 16 March 21 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi I got my DNA results back of my heritage do you get the results from both parents. and I know this is a silly question but I'm not sure how it all works with the matches
Regards
Marley

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Assuming you didn't do a specific DNA test (Y-chromosome for male, mDNA for female) the usual common test is autosomal and covers your entire DNA, so matches will be on either side of your family. I'm not familiar with My Heritage in particular (my parents tested with Ancestry) but if it is the same as in my experience, matches are not separated by whether they are related via your mother or your father- it would be up to you to search their trees/communicate with them to determine where they link up to you.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes, both your maternal and paternal matches will be “mixed up”.

Depending on your heritage, sometimes it is fairly evident which side any matches belong to (as is the case with mine).

If your parents are alive it will help you a lot to distinguish between maternal and paternal results, if you had one of them take the test too. You will get mutual matches with that parent and the other matches will belong to the other side of the family. Not all DNA is passed down logically though so when comparing matches keep that in mind.

Another thing you can do : If you can identify which side of your family that any of your current matches come from, look at the autoclusters on My Heritage to see who else fits into those groups. This way you will be able to see which side of the family that at least some of your matches come from.

Offline Marley21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I'll check that out