Author Topic: Catherine Purvis  (Read 1480 times)

Offline edesearch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Purvis
« on: Wednesday 17 March 21 06:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’m trying to help a friend with some family research but I seem to have hit a bit of a dead-end and would appreciate some help.

I’m looking for the parents of Catherine PURVIS. she was born abt. 1795, possibly in Chirnside, Berwickshire, Scotland. Sometime around 1813-14 she married James Young and gave birth to a son John Young in Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England. According to my friend she died on the 16th of September 1835 at Berwick-Upon-Tweed.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kinds Regards
Edeseach

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Purvis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Birth and baptism record for son John 1812 ?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NBCF-4LG

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
No record in Chirnside around that time on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Two others elsewhere in the County, I note that James & Catherine had sons Thomas & William

CATHARINE PURVES 5/08/1787
THOMAS PURVES/HELEN PURVES
Swinton and Simprim

CATHARINE PURVIS 1/03/1784
WILLIAM PURVIS/CATHARINE JOHNSTONE
Coldingham

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes she was 40 when she was buried 17 Sep 1835, abode Chapel St, Berwick
They Bapt;
John 1812, Mother nee Purvis
Eliza 1815
Thomas 1818
Alison 1822
Catharine 1825
Jane 1827
James 1829
George 1832
Fathers Occp Shoemaker

There is another James/Catharine bapt in Berwick same time but he is a Fisherman.

They Bapt William Young 1827 and Henry Bolton Young 1831

Above on FreeREG

Childrens names may help later in determing naming pattern.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 March 21 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I think this might be James, parents John & Alison.

James YOUNG   Baptism   01 May 1791   Northumberland   Tweedmouth : St Bartholomew

No clear match for Catherine but there are Purvis/Purves records on SP at Chirnside, maybe the record has not survived. There are also records on freereg in Berwick with the abode as Chirnside on some.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline edesearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 March 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

Perhaps you right Colin, maybe the record has not survived.

Offline bairn359

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 September 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
Could maybe be this one?

Cathrine Purves 14th September 1793 Kelso, Roxburghshire
father John Purves mother Elisabeth Kirk

I think Kelso is about 16 odd miles from Chirnside as the crow flies?
Marks (cornwall, devon), Pennie (stirlingshire),
Robertson (perthshire, scotland), Swanston (roxburghshire, berwickshire)

Offline ilovelucy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 23:59 BST (UK) »
I, too, am searching for Catharine Purvis.  I was wondering if you have made any progress in finding her.  My records indicate that she was born in Chirnside in 1795.  So far I have been unable to find any online records for Chirnside that cover that period of time.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 October 21 09:06 BST (UK) »
I, too, am searching for Catharine Purvis.  I was wondering if you have made any progress in finding her.  My records indicate that she was born in Chirnside in 1795.  So far I have been unable to find any online records for Chirnside that cover that period of time.
If you are hoping that there is a large repository of additional information that is not online, you will be disappointed.

Almost all the surviving registers of baptisms and banns for the whole of Scotland are online at www.scotlandspeople. They include the Church of Scotland registers of baptisms in Chirnside from 1660 to 1854. (See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers)

There are very few exceptions. The exceptions are
- registers of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The surviving ones are in the churches or in diocesan, local or university archives.
- a few registers of small or obscure congregations
- the occasional register lurking somewhere in a kist or press (cupboard)
- non-Christian records (if any)
- registers of a few Dissenting or Secession congregations whose registers are in the care of the National Records of Scotland (Refs CH3/), but whose owners either cannot be determined or have refused permission for their records to be made available on SP.

The Statistical Account of Chirnside (https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/osa-vol14-Parish_record_for_Chirnside_in_the_county_of_Berwick_in_volume_14_of_account_1/) says that there were in the parish adherents of three or four Secession denominations, and it could be construed as saying that a quarter of baptisms at that time (1795) were not recorded, though the account is a bit verbose and could be interpreted in other ways. However it does not mention the Episcopal or Roman Catholic Churches, so it is reasonable to suppose that there were no Episcopal or RC parishioners, and therefore no Episcopal register to be looked for. The surviving RC records are on SP.

In practical terms, if it's not on Scotland's People, the overwhelming likelihood is that the record, if it ever existed, has not survived.

How do you know that she was born in Chirnside, by the way?

I assume that the estimated date of birth is from her burial at the age of 40, but if she was born in 1795, she was just 17 when John was born on 26 September 1812. Not impossible, but marriage at 16 was unusual. Could her age at burial have been an underestimate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.