Author Topic: 1851 Census Look ups on Magee & Jordan  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Look ups on Magee & Jordan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 September 05 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Fin,

Thank you so much for bringing in more information on the 1851 census!!

I would have to concur with your position regarding why the censuses were destroyed. I was appalled that I could not find out more about my ancestors.

That means I am stuck with two female ancestors that I could not find a way to identify their correct birthplaces or birthdates.

Things happened in the past, hopefully, the Irish will learn from this mistake. And not to repeat such tragedy!

Regards,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 September 05 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

Thanks so much for the interesting article on why the Irish censuses were destroyed.

I was appalled by what happened and why they did it.

I am starting to understand why one of my friends called Ireland a troubled country!

I find it somewhat irony that in earlier times Irish clans/tribes put a high value on genealogy.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 September 05 11:17 BST (UK) »
Tees, ;D

I have lived in Australia for many years but am originally from County Antrim.

Believe me Ireland is not the only country to destroy their censuses. Australia destroyed most of them too.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 September 05 11:26 BST (UK) »
Tees, ;D

I have lived in Australia for many years but am originally from County Antrim.

Believe me Ireland is not the only country to destroy their censuses. Australia destroyed most of them too.

Regards
Darcy

Hi Darcy!!

You live in Australia? I have uncle and aunt and cousins living there. Cousins live all over Australia.

My Australian uncle and aunt along with my Da were from Co. Antrim. 

So we have something in common.  ;D

Australia destroys its own censuses?? Why did they do that??:o Now Aussies would have a hard time in tracing their ancestors in the coming years.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 September 05 11:38 BST (UK) »
Who knows Tees! ;D

They probably have as many reasons as the Irish ;D

The censuses held in 1901, 1911, 1921 and 1933 were destroyed after the statistical information was extracted. There are some earlier "Musters" but not much information to be had in the way of census returns

So, be glad you are not trying to research your family here - as well as in Ireland. ;D

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk