Author Topic: 1851 Census Look ups on Magee & Jordan  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 Census Look ups on Magee & Jordan
« on: Monday 29 August 05 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I would appreciate two look ups in 1851 Census look ups on two families: Magee/McGee and Jordan.

I am hoping they were located in Co. Antrim, possibly in Co. Armagh.

I am looking for Felix & Elizabeth Magee and John & Sarah Jordan.

I would be very happy if someone could find any information on these couples and any children if they had them.

Thanks for your kind assistance in advance.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Look ups on Magee & Jordan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees, ;D

only a remnant of the 1851 census for Antrim remains. You can search it here -

http://irishgenealogy.net/antrimgen.html

This site also gives information on Irish censusus available. With the exception of the 1901 and 1911 there is little to be had.

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 05 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy,

I am amazed at how little information one could find on their Irish ancestors unless one know where exactly they were!

Can anyone tell me why the Government ordered the censuses destroyed?

That means I would have to concentrate on finding my Great-grandmother Alice Jordan who may have been alive around 1901 in the area of Ballymachard, Derriaghy, Co. Antrim. I know her husband John Jordan passed away in 1889 in this area.

Darcy, I really appreciate your efforts to help me out with this part of research. I really enjoyed the sites you posted for m.

Thank you again,

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 05 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Tees. Could this be him

Belfast 1870

Felix Magee Laborer 34 Bond St.

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Umm...My great-grandmother Alice was born around 1847 to Felix Magee, a small farmer and Elizabeth Magee. I am not sure what they meant by a small farmer on her marriage certificate.

It can be him or not. Where did you get this information from?

Thank you for your efforts to help me out. :) It is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 05 10:32 BST (UK) »

Hi again Tees, ;D

this site explains what happened to the Irish Censuses and gives some other resources that might be useful to you..

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/guide/census.html

Regards
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 September 05 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Darcy!!

Thank you for another new website! Really enjoyed it.

But it still does not answer my question why the Government ordered the censuses to be destroyed??  :o

I truly appreciate that you take time out to aid me with this Irish census information.

Thank you for your kind efforts!

Gratefully yours,

Tees

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 05 07:18 BST (UK) »

Hi Tees, ;D

you will find a fuller explanation of the destruction of the Irish censuses  here-

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~seanjmurphy/nai/censusmemo.htm

Regards
Darcy

Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland

Offline fin

• RootsChat Member
  • CENSUS AND BMD INFORMATION IS NOT COPYRIGHT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 05 10:20 BST (UK) »
The 1851 Census Remnants are available at http://1851.4t.com, spread over 18 pages, and can easily be copied and pasted from there to Word on your own computer for future reference.

There are many Magee families listed but no Felix or Elizabeth: and these are the only Jordans...

Surviving 1851 Census Returns of Ireland - Aghalee Townland - Poobles Townland

14. HUGH JORDAN, 40 (Head) [Married 1839] - FARM LABOURER (Antrim)
ELLEN JORDAN, 40 (Wife) [Married 1839] - FARM LABOURER (Antrim)

If, as you suspect, these ancestors came from County Armagh you could try a look-up at http://www.from-ireland.net/contents/armaghconts.htm Dr Jane Lyons pages for that County.

There are conflicting accounts as to who, why and when the census returns were destroyed. Irishmen hold that the British did it out of spite, the Brits say the Irish did it as a hedge against the uprising failing. I'm inclined to believe the latter because the Brits would have backed up the records in London if they intended to destroy the originals.
Census LAYOUT and IMAGES ONLY are Copyright. INFORMATION gleaned from those sources is not:-
SOURCE: OPSI, Information Policy and Services Directorate, The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU
Licensing(OPSI) [Reuse@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk]

Gore, Marsden, Bright. Cassidy, Cushnaghan, McNeill, Mulgrew, Lakeman. Williamson, Marriner, Sparrow, Page, Drury, Jones

Certificate & Census layouts are Crown Copyright. The information contained on them is NOT