Author Topic: Brockley Cemetery Lookup  (Read 528 times)

Offline Violetta25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brockley Cemetery Lookup
« on: Saturday 20 March 21 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Anyone able to go to Brockley Cemetery for me please and look up a grave for Louise Margarite Neuschwander.  Died late 1926.
I have the grave reference Z/Con/663.
Also I have a map which gives a guide to the general location.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Brockley Cemetery Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Have you established whether there is a headstone on the grave as it could be a wasted journey otherwise
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Violetta25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 21 20:37 GMT (UK) »
No I'm afraid I haven't.  I'm struggling to find records for the family. 
I'm just hoping that there is someone who walks there anyway who'd like to add a bit of purpose to their walk. 
I live too far away and would be breaking covid restrictions to travel there at the moment.
I'd be happy to do the same for someone looking in my locality.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 21 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately - just going for a walk around cemetaries is not allowed at the moment due to Covid restrictions

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01qfs/

Cemeteries, crematoriums and memorial gardens will remain open only for those attending funerals, visiting graves and paying respects to lost loved ones.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 21 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Bad news I'm afraid. Apart from 2-3 rows of the low numbers along one edge, Section Z is totally devoid of headstones. As revealed by Louise being buried with 16 other people, it is one of the areas of common graves which from my observations at Brockley were either not allowed to have gravestones or have had all of them removed. The only consolation is that unlike some other parts of Brockley, Section Z isn't heavily overgrown and they even mow the grass occasionally. I'll try to find a general photo. Send me a PM with an e-mail address, as we aren't allowed to post photos on Lookup forums.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 April 21 04:22 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone else who has relatives in the common graves part of Brockley Section Z comes across this thread at a later date: it turns out that the best picture I have is one I put on this Find a Grave memorial. Click on the last photo for a bigger picture, then on View Original to expand it further.

The graves seen on the left foreground are in the last of the two or three rows of private graves along the western edge of the section, beside the path between Z and X. The photo was taken looking diagonally across from the south-west corner. The plot map held in the office (at Hither Green Cemetery) would be needed to locate any particular grave.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.