Author Topic: Ancestry - Never had this response before!  (Read 4200 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - Never had this response before!
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Exactly. Pour that glass and .... relax....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
 ;D

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Why is it normally Americans who do this?  It must be a competition to have more "ancestors" than other people.

I don't think Americans are any worse than any others in that respect, as I have mentioned in other threads there are a number of English families in the Heralds Visitations who have errors and indeed falsified family lineage written up by the Heralds. Some may have later helped to found America but most stayed here in England.
To single out any nationality is simply wrong.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it's simply that we tend to notice them more.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I suspect it's simply that we tend to notice them more.

It could be that they refuse to accept their mistakes.  I've contacted a few people in the UK and, everyone has accepted that I have my information correct, via certificates etc. and they are wrong and have either changed their trees, or deleted the wrong information.

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 March 21 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me for this - I don't have a tree on Ancestry, so I could be absolutely "talking out of my hat".   :-*

I have found on numerous occasions that tree owners have the wrong information about my ancestors, and I have tried to contact them, without result.  BUT what I have done is add a "Comment" against the tree individual, pointing out the error.

Question - can tree owners delete such "Comments", or are they there for eternity?  In other words, am I wasting my time?
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 March 21 10:10 GMT (UK) »
I have similar situations in my husband's family line.

One British "researcher" has given the mother of an illegitimate son a mythical husband.... this person has half the royal families of Europe integrated to my husband now!!

Another refused to accept my query, and got very cross with me indeed, when I pointed out he had an ancestor whose daughter was stated to have been born several decades before her mother!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 March 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »

Of course, this wrong information is spread all over Ancestry.  Sad really because in the future, another ancestor of my g.grandfather may be looking for answers as to their origins and find all these trees and think that because there are so many with the same info it must be correct.

Hi LizzieW
You make a good point and I didn't realise how important it was until recently.

A person on Ancestry has her ancestor Benjamin Winterbottom (1840 – 1871) of Oldham as the son of my 4th Great uncle, John Winterbottom (1772 – 1857) Woollen Cloth Manufacturer of Round Hill, Saddleworth.

Now according to James’ baptism record he was born at Round Hill, Saddleworth and according to his monumental transcription he died at Round Hill, Saddleworth.

His children were born at Round Hill, Saddleworth. He inherited Round Hill from his father in 1806 (WCW/Supra/C673B/22, Will of Henry Winterbottom Clothier of Round Hill, Saddleworth).

He was entered on the 1841 Census as a clothier living with his wife Mally and children at Round Hill, Saddleworth.

The 1835 and 1848 West Riding Poll Book has him entered as James Winterbottom of Round Hill Saddleworth.

And he is entered on the 1852 General and Commercial Directory of Manchester and Salford as James Winterbottom woollen cloth manufacturer of Round Hill, Saddleworth.

He is entered on the 1857 Yorkshire Post Office Directory as a woollen cloth manufacturer of Round Hill, Saddleworth.

But Wait there’s more!

He was entered on the 1851 Census as an 80 year old retired cloth manufacturer living with his family at Round Hill, Saddleworth.

Whereas, this person has the supposed son of John Winterbottom (1772 – 1857), Benjamin Winterbottom (1840 – 1871), on her tree as entered on the 1851 Census as an 11 year old son of a married couple James, a cotton spinner, and Mary Winterbottom of Oldham, Lancashire.

Now I don’t believe that my 4th great uncle was an 80 year old bigamist who could be in 2 places at once, 11 kilometres apart, on the night of the 1851 Census.

But I thought it really isn’t my concern what this person does and can only do the best for myself.

However, I did get titchy when I is saw what she did to my 5th great aunt, Betty Winterbottom (1753 – 1773). See attachment.

She has given her this name on the profile - Betty 'Roberts' base born 1753–1773

Yes, Betty was born 2 years before her parents married, but this is very crude.  Betty was buried as Betty Winterbottom. The only records for Betty are her burial and baptism records. Is this how she should be remembered - base born. No, in all probability she was very much loved by her family for so many reasons. I think of the pain they must have felt when Betty died so young.

I contacted this person and explained very nicely that she was not related to my family for the above reasons, wished her good luck in her family research and asked if she would remove the ‘base born’ from Betty’s profile. 6 months have gone by and I have not heard from her and the words base born remain on Betty’s profile on.

How many more trees is this going to be propagated on for how many years?

Quite disturbing.

Cheers Karen

Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 26 March 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »

Question - can tree owners delete such "Comments", or are they there for eternity?  In other words, am I wasting my time?

I have never had a comment added to my trees, and haven't added a comment to someone's tree in a while, so I'm not sure how things stand at present. 
I have found my comments deleted in the past - sometimes this is because the owner has used the information in their tree and doesn't need the comment to remain there, which is good.  Sometimes the owner just removes the comment.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk