Author Topic: An Unusual Request - Silverdale  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
An Unusual Request - Silverdale
« on: Monday 22 March 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Right, this is going to be a rather unusual request.

Is there anyone out there who has a male relative born in Silverdale, or it's immediate surroundings, on the 26th of August 1890, and who has vanished off the face of the earth?

I don't want to muddy the waters by giving any names here at the moment, but the gentleman I'm researching can be traced back from his death in 1952 as far as the 1911 census, where he gives his place of birth as Silverdale, but before this there is no trace whatsoever of him. More than one family member has tried, over the last four years, but he appears to have been invisible! I've now come to the conclusion that, for whatever reason, there has been a change of name somewhere down the line.

If you do have a mystery man on your family tree who matches the criteria I would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Keith.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: An Unusual Request - Silverdale
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 March 21 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Unless someone is related then without a name I dont think anyone else can be much help.

Good luck :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 March 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Does the 1911 entry definitely show Silverdale Staffs as there is a Silverdale in Lancs.

Presume the birthdate is from the 1939 register.  If a married man - any clues from the marriage cert?

Is he with any family in 1911?

Why not give the name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 March 21 13:15 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 census for the area is on https://www.freecen.org.uk, you could look there but as Trish posted if you give the name you might get a better response.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
So are you saying that you can't find him from birth until the 1911 census when he was about 21 years old?

You don't have him as a one year old on the 1891 census?

There could be any number of reasons for a change of name - illegitimacy, mother re/married, orphaned/foundling, criminality, misspellings of surnames, etc.

Does he name a father on his marriage certificate?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 21 14:25 GMT (UK) »
It seems a bit odd not to give a name as he died 69 years ago.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 March 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Unless someone is related then without a name I dont think anyone else can be much help.

Good luck :)
Thanks Trish.

That's why I'm looking for anyone who might be related. No one else can help.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 March 21 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Does the 1911 entry definitely show Silverdale Staffs as there is a Silverdale in Lancs.

Presume the birthdate is from the 1939 register.  If a married man - any clues from the marriage cert?

Is he with any family in 1911?

Why not give the name?

1911 definitely shows Silverdale, Staffs.

No clues from the marriage certificate. The father named does not exist.

He is not with family in 1911.

No point in giving the name he went by in later life as it's not pertinent to this query.

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 March 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
So are you saying that you can't find him from birth until the 1911 census when he was about 21 years old?

You don't have him as a one year old on the 1891 census?

There could be any number of reasons for a change of name - illegitimacy, mother re/married, orphaned/foundling, criminality, misspellings of surnames, etc.

Does he name a father on his marriage certificate?

As mentioned above, the father named on the marriage certificate does not exist.

No trace of him at all pre-1911, which is why I've come to the conclusion that he changed his name. But, of course, without his original name I can't find him on any record which would point to the change of name!  ???