Author Topic: Another request for help with an RA tracer card please  (Read 970 times)

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Another request for help with an RA tracer card please
« on: Tuesday 23 March 21 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I just came across a tracer card during my genealogy research and wondered if anyone has a clue what the AB358 entry is all about under the name? The entry is T190/232 and I can't find any reference to this on Google either. GSC is obviously general service corps and I believe the HAA is heavy artillery something and LAA light artillery something? Finally I can make out all the locations except the final/4th one - 2 GD regiment is it? Thank you. Nick.

Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another request for help with an RA tracer card please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 08:34 GMT (UK) »
I think its class Z reserve and a T for territorial Reserve

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:39 GMT (UK) »
The AB 358 entry is first - Light Anti-Aircraft  and the T190 etc reference is to his entry in Army Book 358 which is the enlistment book maintained by each army regiment, in his case the RA Attestation Register.
LAA – above, HAA Heavy Anti-Aircraft.
 The standard release (not yet discharge) was Class Z (with a (T) for Territorial) Reserve as Ady says.  Men and women were released to civilian life but remained on the reserve in case war broke out again  The commitment to being called back lasted until age 45 or 1954 whichever came first.  That would appear in his case on his REME record.

Apologies KGarrad.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much guys for all that. Much appreciated.

Max, I assume then that the AB entry doesn't stand for something then? Just the name of the column?

Just one final thing I don't understand then and that's why would he, or anyone else for that matter, be signing up in February 1947? Could it be that this whole card was for the territorial reserves that he wanted to sign up for after the war had finished?
Waddicor, Poyser, Wildgoose, Cartwright and especially anyone who can enlighten me on a Daniel Cairney who was born around 1929 in Tranent, East Lothian. Apparently he was some kind of famous music hall musician or singer/entertainer but can't find mention of him anywhere! :(

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 14:29 GMT (UK) »
No way of checking as the published RA Attestation books only go up to 1942.  Highly likely though that it is nothing more than part of whatever clerical system was used at the time to indicate an entry had been made.  It can be safely ignored..

Why shouldn't he join up? He may have been conscripted and then decided to stay on, very common.

MaxD

PS Ignore my earlier bit about the war being over, this was of course post WW2.

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Mancunian_Nick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again, Max.