Author Topic: Death of Mary Higginbotham - 9 Jul 1833 from Waterford Chronicle  (Read 1476 times)

Offline RutitaHands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death of Mary Higginbotham - 9 Jul 1833 from Waterford Chronicle
« on: Tuesday 23 March 21 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I found a record indicating that in the Waterford Chronicle in 1833 there is an entry for the death of Mrs. Mary Higginbotham, widow of John. I don't have access to the Waterford Chronicle historical papers so am wondering if someone would be able to find this for me. Her entry is the 5th one down on the attachment. Thank you!
Higginbotham (Wexford), Lett (Dublin, Wexford)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Mary Higginbotham - 9 Jul 1833 from Waterford Chronicle
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Also a notice in "Wexford Conservative" 3rd July.
 "Monday last, at Ryaheen, Mrs Higginbotham, sincerely regretted"
Cowban

Offline RutitaHands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!

Offline RutitaHands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 16:20 GMT (UK) »
I am unable to locate Ryaheen on google maps. What would the current spelling be for that location or is there a current name for where she was from?

I think i figured it out: Ringaheen (Townland) in Civil Parish of Rathmacknee in Barony of Forth.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 March 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a townland called RYLEEN in New Ross Co. Wexford.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 21:15 BST (UK) »
Ringaheen, Rathmacknee is the correct townland.
There is a William Higginbotham listed as occupying the entire townland in the tythe valuation.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline RutitaHands

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 02:22 BST (UK) »
How big is a townland typically? How do you see in the tithe valuation that he occupied entire townland?

From what I’ve been able to find, it appears William Higginbotham raised several farm animals (piglets, calves, etc) plus grew high quality potatoes and also raised and raced horses. I believe William is the son of Mary Higginbotham who died in 1833. I believe she was living with her son after her husband John Higginbotham died in 1832 who was living in Coolinstudd (when he died).

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 21 03:30 BST (UK) »
How big is a townland typically? How do you see in the tithe valuation that he occupied entire townland?

From what I’ve been able to find, it appears William Higginbotham raised several farm animals (piglets, calves, etc) plus grew high quality potatoes and also raised and raced horses. I believe William is the son of Mary Higginbotham who died in 1833. I believe she was living with her son after her husband John Higginbotham died in 1832 who was living in Coolinstudd (when he died).

There is no typical townland size. Anywhere from a few acres to thousands.
Areas in the tythe valuations are typically in Irish acres.
Areas in Griffith's valuation are in English acres.

How do I know that William occupied the entire townland?
- Easy. He is the only one listed!

The tythe valuations are available on the NAI website, you can see for yourself.
http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625711/004625711_00268.pdf

Note that he is denoted as "Mr", which says he enjoyed a certain social standing.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area