Author Topic: Deciphering handwriting on the back of a photo to find location of photo  (Read 708 times)

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deciphering handwriting on the back of a photo to find location of photo
« on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Please can anybody decipher the handwriting on the back of the photo. I think it gives the placename but can't really read it.
The photo seems to have been removed from a photo album and has got green fibres/fluff on the back. I've tried to remove as much as I can but didn't want to damage the handwriting.
I've included the front of the picture, in case, anybody recognises the location.
Grateful for any help

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Deciphering handwriting on the back of a photo to find location of photo
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:16 GMT (UK) »
It looks something like Kilmacoline...any idea of where the owner of the photo lived?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Carol
If it's the Nuttall side of my family - Bury, Lancashire, Horwich and then they moved to Ipswich.
If it's the Seddon side of the family - Liverpool, Lancashire
The other side of the family are all from Liverpool too.

I've inherited a lot of old photos from my Aunt and most aren't labelled. The fluff makes it really hard to read any which are labelled.

I didn't know if it said something like Hydro? in the line above - but I couldn't find anything likely when I tried to Google.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I think it's Kilmacolm, which is in Renfrewshire. The top word is presumably somewhere in the locality.

Added:
The Wikipedia entry for Kilmacolm mentions a hydro there.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Wow - thank you both.
I forgot to add that my paternal line moved to Liverpool but my g-grandfather and his family were from Belfast and we think they were Scots-Irish. 
I wonder if that could be a place in Scotland were the McMillen's originally came from.

This gives me a new line of research for Belfast relatives as I'd got stuck in the 1830s as I can't find anymore records.
Thank you!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I was close  :P ;D ;D ;D
Better view here.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline louisemcm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much. ;D

I'll see if I can get the picture dated but there's not very much in it to date it by. I can't tell how old it is. I'm hoping it's someone getting a picture of the land of my ancestors, rather than somebody who stayed at the hotel.

Thank you so much though as I'll do more investigating and see if I can a Renfrewshire link to the family. I'm very grateful