Author Topic: Who is my 4 x Gr Grandfather - Charles Galbraith or Galbreath? Help please  (Read 2459 times)

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 D My Grandfather was Angus Hatrick Galbraith B 1932 D 1983
His Father was Angus Galbraith B 1906 D 1964
His Father was Angus Galbraith B 1879 D 1918
His Father was Angus Galbraith B 1844 - cant find death record
His father was Charles Galbreath and Mother Marion Graham born Islay (also went by the name of Mirren)

The only details I can find for Charles are his marriage cert which gives no info just their names and age. From this and the census entries I know he was born circa 1800 (of course this wasn't always reliable) there was a Charles Galbreath born in Argyll - and a Charles Galbraith born in New Kilpatrick. How can I trace this line further with no facts? Please help

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Who is my 4 x Gr Grandfather - Charles Galbraith or Galbreath? Help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for Angus b 1844 in the 1851 census? That should tell you where his father was born, assuming of course that he is living with him.

Transcriptions available in various places. The best is https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl but its coverage is very incomplete.

Original documents at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
The two spellings are actually the same surname and surfing for origins shows they mean a stranger from Briton.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
I see that Marion/Mirren was a widow in 1851, and that Angus was aged 9, which means he was born 1842/1843, in Paisley. His youngest sister Marion was aged 1 in 1851, so she was born 1849/1850. Therefore Charles must have died about the same time.

The 1841 census says that Charles was not born in Renfrewshire.

His age was given as 40 in the 1841 census. In that census, adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so he could have been anything from 40 to 44. If his age is accurate, this means that he was born between 8 June 1796 and 7 June 1801.

Noting that none of his sons was named Neil, and none of his daughters Grizel, I think you can probably discount the Charles Galbraith baptised in Campbeltown.

This does not necessarily mean that the one in New Kilpatrick is the right one, because there are many people whose baptism records, if they ever existed, have not survived.

His eldest son was John and his second daughter was Mary, so there is a chance that his parents were John and Mary.

In the 1841 census there is a Mary McMillan, aged 70, in his household. Could this be his mother, perhaps? There's a marriage of Donald Galbreath to Mary McMillan in Gigha and Cara in 1796. Could they have been his parents?

Marion Galbraith, other surname Graham, died in Paisley in 1888 aged 84.

Angus Galbraith was still in Paisley in the 1901 census. He died in Paisley in 1918 aged 76.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Tha k you Forfarian all super helpful. Mary Macmillan was marions mother and lived with them for quite a number of years. I thought the same about Neil and Grizell
I thought it would be unusual for no child to be named after them

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 March 21 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Marion died 1888 in Paisley, age 84.
Death cert available on Scotlands People.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline SarahMacleod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neale1961 I have this certificate already :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 March 21 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Neale1961 I have this certificate already :)
Then you should have Marion's father's name too. Does it fit with the names of Marion's children?