Author Topic: Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [4/5]  (Read 1029 times)

Offline phenocryst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [4/5]
« on: Friday 26 March 21 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Here's the fourth of the five old photographs we've found in a family collection. We know nothing about them except what's visible on the scans, and the fact that they're probably inherited from Stott ancestors from the north west of England. I'd like to get your ideas on dates, please, and any other information you can glean that might be useful.

The man appears to be the same one as in the previous photograph, but perhaps a bit younger in this one.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a series of (possibly Stott family) photographs [4/5]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 March 21 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Looks so like a scene from a play to me.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 March 21 22:27 GMT (UK) »
It looks to be Edwardian.

Added:
It looks like you changed your mind from 1890s to 1900s after I posted

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't resist doing a little work on this great image, it certainly has a staged, theatrical feel.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline phenocryst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 March 21 14:40 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if it was a portrait taken at their home rather than a studio.

The woman's neckerchief and puffy shoulders are quite distinctive. Do they help narrow down the date?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Yes it looks like an informal shoot in the home, Early Edwardian I think, the sleeves were an 1890s fashion and they made a brief appearance with a slight change of style in the early 1900s I believe.
Carol

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:05 GMT (UK) »
It looks to be Edwardian.

Added:
It looks like you changed your mind from 1890s to 1900s after I posted

Carol

Yes, changed my mind as was not sure.  I don't do many dates so am only guessing. Thought 1900 more middle of the road guess.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Could I add my view -

I agree with Carol. I see it as early Edwardian. I found a few 1901-3 photos with women wearing that type of sleeve. Was it a gradual move from the 1890s?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 March 21 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think so, the sleeves became tighter and the puffball shoulders a bit smaller I believe.
Carol