Author Topic: Family history of John James (Jack) Ryan  (Read 572 times)

Offline Johnryan1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family history of John James (Jack) Ryan
« on: Saturday 27 March 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone. I have been advised to use the USA forum with my request. My grandfather John Ryan was born 1878 in New York, I know his father was also called John and was a carpenter and originated from Ireland, I don't know which county. I do not know the whereabouts in New York he was born. I gathered this information from his marriage certificate. He married Mary Shannon 1900 in Baldoye, Howth, Dublin Ireland. I am guessing he arrived in Ireland  around the 1895/99 period. I know I am asking a lot but this is all the information I have to hand.
Hope there is someone out there that can help me break this brick wall.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Regards
John

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family history of John James (Jack) Ryan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 March 21 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

You can search here (as mentioned previously). https://www.familysearch.org/en/

I did find a New York connection with the Clare family also mentioned previously - marriage in Ireland, birth and baptism of son Frank in NY and then births in Ireland from 1878.
Unfortunately, I can’t see a record for John’s birth or baptism in NY.

There are records for immigration - New York back to England/Ireland but these only begin in 1878 which might have helped but the family were back by then.

Best wishes
Heywood

Added
I am only posting this as it might be your family (of course it might not) but for you to note for future.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Johnryan1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 March 21 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood. Thank you for your assistance, but I don't think the Ryan family from Clare are connected, though i will carry on trying to check it out. My grandfather (John Ryan) was definitely born in New York USA in 1878, do you mind if I ask you how I find a passenger list from USA to Ireland / England dating from between 1895 / 99 ish.
Regards.
John.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 March 21 16:56 BST (UK) »
I know you doubt that family and I wish I could just find John in New York  :)

There are similarities though so if you will just let me mention them please.
John Ryan married Margaret Madigan 1873
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1873/11268/8132189.pdf

I won’t go into all the details but there is a birth (no first name) and baptism Frank to the couple  in NY in 1874. John’s father was Frank. Your John has a son Fran.
There is another unnamed birth to John and Margaret Ryan but it doesn’t show Margaret’s maiden name on that occasion so not reliable. There is also a possible emigration record for the couple 1874 to NY.

They obviously returned because the rest of their children were born in Fahymore, Clare. I have not looked them up but I think there are at least two different mother’s surnames and I don’t think I saw a death but I stopped searching them.
One child was Martin. The baptism of Margaret Mary Josephine (from memory) to your John shows a sponsor Martin Ryan.
Unfortunately - all speculation/coincidence on my part.

However, Family Search shows immigration records but they are the wrong way - to US.

Ancestry has some immigration to England/Ireland. I don’t know about Find my Past.

What evidence do you have that John returned 1895/99?

Offline Johnryan1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 March 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood. I hope you don't mind me addressing you as Heywood, I don't know if that is your Christian or surname.
Please forgive me for doubting the Clare family, I can only offer the excuse of being blinkered by my inexperience. The only evidence I have of my grandfather returning 1895/99 is the fact my father told me he was born in New York USA in 1878. He married Mary Shannon in 1900 hence the assumption and their first born was Margaret Mary Josephine born in 01/05/1901 and as you say her sponsor was Martin Ryan I have the certificate which has the same address as the 1901 Irish census the next child born was Fran 11/05/1904 so it would seem that your similarities have got sound foundation. I would certainly appreciate your input.
Kind Regards.
John Ryan.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
Oh no problem.
The difficulty is you are working with such a popular surname. I have tried to find supporting evidence and it isn’t there.
You have the Ryan/Madegan marriage already
Here are the US records I could find
Birth of Ryan/Madigan child
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:HQYD-X12M

I then went here NY Catholic records and found a likely baptism. The site takes you to FindMyPast, I have no real access but the index shows Francis Ryan, 1874
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qgp/

Sadly, I can’t see anything for John.

This is the only immigration record I could find - not very positive - just J and M Ryan
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVR3-GP6T

Offline Johnryan1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 March 21 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood.
I really appreciate all this info. I misinterpreted the Fran factor, if it's ok with you I would like to transfer your info onto my family tree and replace the guess work I had put in. Your info is stronger and well documented. I feel all the enthusiasm returning to the level it was when I first started this journey.
Thank you so much. I know you must be busy with other projects and helping other people, but If you should happen to discover any further info or documentation, could you possibly forward it on.
Kind Regards.
John.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 March 21 19:34 BST (UK) »
I think what you need to do is look through https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
(it can be tedious) for the children of John Ryan, Fahymore (there are variations in spelling but essentially it is that).
The registration district is Limerick.
If I recall on some births John is a Carpenter and others he is a labourer.
I can’t see a death for Margaret though, nor subsequent marriage  :-\

There is nothing definite and your theory may be just as valid as this.