Author Topic: Curragh Camp: information requested on relatives who lived in married quarters  (Read 1127 times)

Offline dickydoremouse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Married Quarters database creation for the Curragh Camp is terrific. I am trying to update the story of the life of my deceased Uncle, Larry O'Rourke . He was a Captain in 1945 and lived in No. 3 Connolly Villas with his wife, Mary Esther ( Etta). According to the data they lived at this address from 4.8.1945-12.8.1964.  After Larry's name are the letters P.I.T - what do they stand for, please?

Is it possible to know where the couple moved to after this?

I have also noticed a reference to someone I think is my father, James O'Rourke.  This person is down as  A/CPL O'Rourke J (no.3 Band) and appears to have been living  in married quarters from 01.04.1930-05.12.1933 but no wife's name is given or where on the site.  Of course, it may not be my father at all but I'd like to know what no 3 band means and whether A/CPL means acting corporal? 

Returning to my Uncle, I have tried for many months to find his date and place of death. His remaining family have lost reference to it . Is there a way for me to trace it?  I believe that my Uncle received a number of promotions, as my father was very proud of him and mentioned this, but I have no idea what these were or even when he left the Army. Would any one on this site know?

I'd be grateful for any help. Many thanks for reading this. 
Corrigan (Dublin); Terry; Rourke; O'Rourke;Dalton;Ellison;
Nevin; Quin;Long (Cork and USA); Supple ... more to follow no doubt!

Offline Sharrycat

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Curragh Camp: information requested on relatives who lived in married quarters
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have just come across this while looking at the married quarters lists etc.  I believe that you are talking about my Grandad.  My late father was his son, Brendan.  I think the PIT is something to do with being a physical training instructor. I know Grandad competed himself for the army, triple jump among other things.  Sadly I didn't know my Nan as she died when I was a baby.  Grandad died in the early 80’s - might have been 1980 even, when I was in my early teens. My Mum will probably have the exact date.  I believe he was in a Dublin hospital or hospice - I wasn’t really told the details at the time. 

If this is making sense to you that Grandad was your Uncle, then I guess we must be related!

Anyway, don’t know,if this has helped or not!