Author Topic: The Mystery of Richard Hutt 1763 Kidlington - Please help!  (Read 236 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mystery of Richard Hutt 1763 Kidlington - Please help!
« on: Tuesday 30 March 21 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering whether someone might be able to tell me of any resources outside of wills, parish registers, the press and census records please that I might be able to search in order to piece together a bit of a mystery I have in determining whether what I am calling 'early' Richard is the same person as 'later' Richard please?

I can tell you what I know so far which will cover what I do know but I am really hoping to learn about additional sources I may not know about in order to place Richard!

1763 16th Jan - Richard is baptised at St Mary's Kidlington along with brother James to parents William Hutt and Margaret nee Smith.

1763-1790 Nothing - I can't find anything such as apprentiship documents for him.

1790 18th Sept - Possible marriage at North Hinksey - Richard Hutt of the parish of Kidlington, batchelor (baker) to Sarah Bowler of St Aldates Berks/Oxon. The Bath Chronical & Weekly Gazette says she is from Faringdon and he is of Oxford. Could this be my Richard and why marry at North Hinksey I wonder???

1790 - Richard's grandfather William Smith of Long Combe (buried at Stanton Harcourt) mentions Richard and all of his siblings as well as their parents in his will.

Richard and presumably Sarah nee Bowler have children baptised at St Mary's Kidlington

1791 Mary
1793 William
1794 James (my 5x great grandfather)
1795 Richard
1797 Henry
1798 Thomas
1800 Sarah
1802 John.

1798/99 Richard's father William of Thrupp (near Kidlington where the family owned land on a 500-1000 yr lease) dies and leaves a will, all of the other children are mentioned BUT not Richard (I wonder why?).

1815 Richard's aunt Jane Hester nee Smith of Draycot mentions her deceased sister Margaret and all of her nieces and nephews including Richard in her will (written in 1801 I think).

1815-1840 nothing.

This is where the 'later' Richard comes in and I am not sure if it is the same person.

1840 - Richard's cousin Henry from North Leigh leaves £250 to Richard Hutt Yeoman Gent of Yarnton.

1841 - Yarnton piece 890, book 23, pg 9. Richard Hutt aged 75 (giving a birth around 1766). A 20 year old Sarah Hutt is living with him. Next door are the Mortons. His daughter Sarah married Henry Morton of Yarnton in 1824, they had 4 children and then tragically she was struck by lightening and died in 1835, she is buried at Yarnton ("S.M struck by lightening 1835).

1846 5th Apr - A William Hill, wheelwright of Yarnton marries Sarah Hutt (likely Richard's grandaughter), school mistress of Yarnton, she says her father was called Richard and he was a gardener.

1851 - Yarnton piece 1730, folio 491, pg 18. Richard Hutt aged 92 (giving a birth year of 1759). He says he was from Thrupp (Thrupp doesn't have a church, people use St Mary's Kidlington - Richard's father William lived in Thrupp so it kind of fits). Richard's grandaughter Ann Morton aged 23 lives with him (daughter of his daughter Sarah 1800-1835). Next door are William Hill 29 Kidlington and his wife Sarah 30 a school mistress born Chelsea, Middlesex and their 2 children.

1851 - 11th Sept Richard Hutt aged 90 of Yarnton is buried at Kidlington. The press says he was buried in the family vault (his grandaughter Ann Morton also died). I can find no evidence as yet of this vault, I assume it is at St Mary's.

1852 - His will was proved by Sarah Hill his grandaughter, so at this point I discovered that perhaps the Sarah with him in the 1841 census was the same Sarah who married William Hill and how they were related. William Hill was a witness on this will and in it he leaves Sarah absolutely everything.

This is why I wondered if the two Richard's are the same as he left nothing to his living sons. Maybe they fell out or maybe he left everything to Sarah as she was "keeping house" for him or maybe Sarah and William coerced him? I am assuming her father was Richard's son Richard but I can find not evidence of any Hutts being born in the Chelsea/Kensington area to a Richard. Maybe she was illegitimate and gave her grandfather's name at the wedding? I was hoping that by finding his son Richard I may get some clues. If the Richard who had children with Sarah was the son of William who died in 1798/99 why is he not in the will, usually if someone has fallen out they are mentioned and are left a shilling or something like that? Richard was the only one in the family who didn't seem to be a farmer.

Maybe my 5 x great grandfather James is son to another Hutt but in his census returns his year of birth and place of birth is the only one locally that fits with Richard and Sarah. Similarly maybe my 6 x great grandfather Richard is not the son of William and Margaret but I can't find another Richard born locally at around the right time.

So I wondered if anyone might be able to suggest a resource I could look at please to see that both Richard's are the same person and if there is anything I can use to fill the gaps between 1763-1790 and 1815 and 1840 please?

Sorry this is so long!

Thanks so much for reading,

Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of Richard Hutt 1763 Kidlington - Please help!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 March 21 19:33 BST (UK) »
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)